Tuesday, April 20, 2021

A Burning Question from Susan Griffith

 Just ate the most delicious soup! Made in my old crockpot from a now defunct thrift shop on Old York Road, it has brown rice, mushrooms, onions, and I added cut up Cabot Sharp Cheddar for protein.

Ate it while watching a documentary called THE ALGONQUIN ROUND TABLE. As a lover of all forms of entertainment, I watched while slurping my soup.

Here is the URL for the Algonquin. I sent it to Rem and Margie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ObXzrP4wdc

Oh, forget it, the link did not go through.

***

All my postcards are in my mailbox. Jack and Linda Fogel, donations to Planned Parenthood, Parkinson's Diz, note to Natalie, my mom/law, and I think that's it.

Did my back exercises this morning. Actually improved in the one where I stand on one foot and then the other.

Dante the Mailman just arrived and took all my mail. I leave the phone off the hook as I don't wanna get anything from CVS.

How shocked I was to hear from an old friend - Susan Griffith of Susan and Gary Griffith. We used to compare our experiences from then Bldg 16 of Norristown State Hospital.

Like me, lithium ruined her kidneys and she has been offered a transplant. It's called a swap. She wanted my opinion on what to do.

I had such a great experience that I highly recommend the operation.

Her main worry - and it is quite a problem - is that she will get manic or depressed after the operation.

She should gather as much info as she can from her transplant surgeons. They are the experts though patients like myself are also helpful.

Susan has a 26 yo daughter Jessica. I told her my kidney donor Sarah is 47!

Right now, Susan is at Penn Jefferson undergoing tests. I do remember them. Going through all those hoops. Tedious, trying, and very stressful. Bring a good book and try to read.

I started off at Jefferson but they rejected me right away. I was furious, as was Sarah who met me there after taking the train in from Brooklyn.

We did end up at Einstein Medical Center in North Philadelphia, which worked out great. You would not believe all the meds I take so my body will not reject my kidney. 

Susan, you should have goals after your transplant. Submit your experience to a newspaper or better yet, a magazine.

Take notes the entire time you are there. That should help steady your mind.

The worse thing that happened to me was getting insulin dependent diabetes. Am so used to it now, I inject myself in a place that doesn't hurt many times a day.

Belly or butt.

Okay, gonna go out on the back porch now and paint a pair of shoes I have. My mom's old clodhoppers. 

Wish me well! 

And Susan, think positive, follow the doctors' instructions and if you are so inclined, PRAY. Her operation is scheduled for May 12, 2021. 

Ruth Z Deming, MGPGP 

founder/director

New Directions Support Group

https://newdirectionssupport.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment