Tuesday, April 27, 2021

National Poetry Month - Poem for Dante, my Mailman

 Man, did I have to hustle to get this to Dante in time.

APRIL IS NATIONAL POETRY MONTH


Why not write a poem about Mailman Dante?

Dressed in blue like a cop with a little

blue protective mask

I'll write my poem upstairs in the room with the little window

where the new buds of spring stud the branch of my last

remaining maple.


When I moved here 31 years ago, three maples

grew to majestic proportions

each one decaying and falling,

crumbling to their deaths. 


Worse than the Corona virus! 


Dante's mail truck is stuffed

like a Whitman's Chocolate Sampler

Mail today is mostly ads

I pile them up in my living room

Under the twirling fan


On Trash Day I stuff them in the

Yellow Plastic Bin in Tall Bags

and off they go, singing for joy,

to be resurrected when the time is ripe

into Park Benches.


Down I lay on the bench, reading a good book

from my library. Nancy Drew, girl detective

would be just fine.   

...


This COULD be my Yellow House but it is not.

Will go on back porch now and read Klara and the Sun, the Martin Amis book Inside Story and The Impersonator by Heidi Pitlor.

So much reading, so little time.


Who dis?

Where dis taken?


No comments:

Post a Comment