Monday, April 26, 2021

The Theatre of the Absurd - Poem: Potato Soup

 I get a call from the office of my physical therapist. Clare wants a complete medical history of me plus the Pain Survey I had already filled out.

Listen, Clare, I say. I don't have time for all this. Thank you for your help. And I hang up.

Turns out my back and legs have turned the corner, so to speak. Much Much Better. Scott was here this morning and he was helping me do the exercises on my soft downstairs mattress.

I thought I would never get better.

Then I walked around the hilly block in a thin blue shirt and never warmed up, but knew I'd be home soon.

Home to my potato soup which I just finished. The crock pot is soaking in the sink. Actually I just cleaned it with plenty of elbow grease. 

POTATO SOUP

My new specialty

like peasants of old

these underground tubers

gathered strength and nourishment

Lord God be told

So satisfying with brown rice

mushrooms, garlic and melting cheese

we slurp it up bowl after bowl after bowl.

Internet photo.

Hold on. My nephew Miles is graduating from Columbia Law School. I sent his mom a note to send me the link.

Went in my fridge and brought out the bagel and lox Lynn had brought me yesterday. It was as frozen as an Eskimo Pie.

Since the dog was barking across the street, I sat on Scott's bench and ate most of it, then took it to our compost heap and tossed out the remains of the day, a book by  Kazuo Ishiguro. 

Anthony Hopkins received best actor award last night - at 83 he is the oldest person to win one - for his portrayal in THE FATHER. I think he has dementia in the film.

Please don't wait for me, but will look it up now.

AND the award ceremony, the little I saw, was annoyingly terrible. 

In the mail I received a solicitation from the Muscular Dystrophy Foundation. I wanted to donate $15 b/c when my son Dan was little, he had a boy in his class with that terrible disease.

Went online and it was UTTERLY IMPOSSIBLE to donate anything.

Just now I finished watching an hour long presentation from the PBS News Hour about the book and the film NOMADLAND.

Fascinating. The author Jessica Bruder was interviewed by Jeffrey Brown, who did an excellent job.


His Wiki says he was born in 1946 and has written a collection of poetry called THE NEWS.

We gotta check this out!

Jessica Bruder. 

Tried to view some of his poetry on Amazon, but wasn't able to.

Robert Pinsky, former poet laureate, said Brown is a 'true poet.'

Years ago, I drove to Montgomery County Community College and heard Pinsky. Wonder if it's on my blog. 

Here's my blog with Robert Pinsky. I believe he was the son of a pharmacist. NO, an optician. The things we remember! The things we forget.

Pinsky was a polymath and creative in so many fields. 

I've forgotten how to do the link, so click below.

https://ruthzdeming.blogspot.com/2011/08/wanted-crepe-myrtle-before-end-of.html

I'll try it myself and see if it works. Meantime, Mr Pinsky come out of hiding please.


Am now gonna read on the back porch. I have 3 books from the library and will decided what to keep and what to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment