Thursday, April 15, 2021

WORLD BIPOLAR DAY is published and you can read it right here

 Scott and I just ordered on Instacart. Our groceries should arrive any minute. This is so we can see if the Carters have made any mistakes like those fabulous meatballs which have no meat in em. I shall not share the name with you or else the Giant will be out of them again.


Took me forever to fix this up as a post card. 

It was one of those days when I woke up at 5 am and came down for breakfast.

Two organic eggs and lots of onions.

Totally dark outside as if I were in a scary movie. Sat on red couch. Man, those eggs were scrumptious. 

A little bit of salt and a little bit of black pepper.

Tried to find something to watch on YouTube, but to no avail. Was trying to finish something with Peter Finch as a member of Parliament looking for love in all the wrong places. Just found it!

My WORLD BIPOLAR DAY appeared in the Montgomery Newspapers. Scott found it on the Ambler Gazette, where I sent it to the subscribers on AWeber.

March 30 was “World Bipolar Day,” when those of us, like myself, reflect on what this condition means.

Wearing my mask as I walked around the block early this morning -- “Caw! Caw!” went the crows -- I remembered all the incarnations I went through since I was first locked up at Norristown State Hospital for the worst three days of my life.

It is important to realize that things change. An open mind is much needed. Back then in 1984, I was told “Stay on your medication and never go off.”

Staying on lithium would ruin my kidneys and I would get a transplant courtesy of my daughter, the writer Sarah Lynn Deming.

Many people partner with their psychiatrists and psychotherapists to keep this treatable condition well-managed.

This is very important.

Working with my then-psychiatrist -- who is now retired -- I attended Hahnemann University to get a master’s degree.

New Directions Support Group has been the largest and most helpful support group in the Greater Philadelphia Area.

Every single individual gets individual attention.

We know that mood swings -- from uncontrollable “highs” to uncontrollable “lows” that bring on suicidal feelings must be attended to.

While we can’t save everybody, we do try.

Since we cannot attend live evening meetings at Abington Presbyterian Church or Daytime Meetings at the Willow Grove Giant Supermarket, we Zoom several times a month.

We have a “Call Team” if someone is thinking about taking his or her own life.

Music, believe it or not, has saved people’s lives.

“Hip-Hop Saved my Life” is a viral video from Lupe Fiasco’s album, “The Cool.”

It’s also common knowledge that the ageless Bruce Springsteen suffered from depression, as described in his 2016 autobiography “Born to Run."

And, yes, indeed, he ran into some trouble when police found him driving under the influence. Addiction to drugs is common among people with mood swings.

Here are a few common-sense ideas to help you cope:

Exercise, which helps both your body and mind.

Eat nutritious foods and minimize junk food. As Mark Hyman, MD, says on his PBS program, “The most important tool you have to change your life is your fork.”

Stay connected with other people, difficult to do during the pandemic. We are “herd animals” and when we miss our herd, depression or drug-taking may happen. Monitor yourself and call a good friend to discuss.

While the telephone cannot compare with visiting someone, it is the next best thing.

Just do it!

Learn new skills during the pandemic. My friend, Scott, taught himself to make quiche with asparagus and cheese.

Redecorate your house. Use a Dumpster and get rid of everything you do not need. I have created a quiet Reading Room, where I listen to music and read from the library books I check out from the Upper Moreland Library.

Satisfy your curiosity. My mother died at age 97. I had written our family doctor and asked him if Mom had been in any pain. He honestly answered me, “No, the morphine she was given, lifted her spirits.”

Help others. Every day I call my elderly friends -- Freda and Bernie who moved into a retirement community -- and check on them. Ten years has made quite a difference in their lives, which reminds all of us -- Have you prepared your wills? You must let your family members know where it is.

In this spring season, bring daffodils to your neighbors. Nothing is as cheerful as a flower. It is like a huge smile.

Ruth Z. Deming, MGPGP, Founder/Director

.....

Bob and Judy, our neighbors across the street, came home from Ocean City, NJ, Scott's favorite shore city.

The minute he got home he was outside cutting his lawn, rumors of rain.

Judy, he must have said, we've gotta leave here so I can go home and cut the grass.

Today is the day I'm gonna make KRUSTEAZ Cornbread. It's from a mix.

Nervous, Ruthie? Damn straight I am I am.


HERE IS THE MOVIE I JUST WATCHED AND NAPPED TO AND DIDN'T UNDERSTAND.

Johnnie Byrne, a cynical and burnt-out Yorkshire Labour MP, whose career has seemingly stalled due to his ostensibly leftist leanings, is re-elected with the victorious Labour Party after a General Election. Bitter not to receive an invitation to join the Government, his left-wing wife leaves him, and he accepts an invitation to lead a conspiratorial group of MPs working against the centrist government. Mary, the single woman upstairs, adores him but they never quite become a couple.

Johnnie falls in love with a 20-year-old student/model Pauline, and misses making an important speech against the Government's militaristic plans because he is in bed with her. His conspirators turn against him and cause his local party to attempt to deselect him. He narrowly escapes a vote of no-confidence in his constituency, and goes in search of Pauline who has ended their relationship, still in love, but knowing it is not the right relationship for her.

He goes back home, to find his wife who wants to try again, and she gives him her phone number. The Prime Minister offers him a post, and reveals that the reason Johnnie was not offered one before was due to his wife's communist connections. Johnnie tears up the paper with his wife's phone number and embraces his role in government.

OKAY THE TIMER JUST RANG. SCUSE ME WHILE I CHECK THE 375 degree oven.

IT'S OUT OF THE OVEN AND SCOTT AND I will go fine the place where he will get his Moderna Shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment