Monday, March 5, 2018

More poems - Dr Doreen - More Poems


Ellen called. Barbara Postel is not doing well. As an artist she calls herself  B F Postel.

Mom just called. Barbara died today, March 6, 2018.

Image result for barbara postel  One of her many paintings. This is quite beautiful.

Rem said he watched Action News and we're expecting more snow than we thought.

They make the words Hazardous Conditions look so scary.

THE DENTIST AS HERO

While munching last night,
an odd metallic stone
swirled in my mouth.

In my hand I examined it
like a scientist. The
tooth of a peahen?
A Tiny Tears doll?
A piece of amber with
prehistoric bugs inside?

I imagine the words
of the dentist. Yes, he
will fit you in.

Ah, the tales I tell
myself when I'm in
the dental chair.

Dr Doreen built me
a new tooth. I'm
saving my money
to buy a new crown.

No more new kitchen towels
Chinese food from Helen
Scallops from The Fish Monger

Crown her Queen o the Mouth.

* * *
And, don't, said Dr Doreen, chew on your new tooth with nuts and other hard things.

Yessum!

She had a way of turning my head by grabbing my teeth instead of my head. That was very smart!!!

She has incense in the lobby.

"I don't want it to smell like an office," she said. 



HAIKU

No snow on rooftops
Storm said farewell, enjoy
Boots back on this Tuesday


HAIKU

The water is warm
My feet glisten below
Toenails polished


HAIKU

Cadillac top down
Breeze blowing the redhead's hair
To the beach they go


HAIKU

Mozart long ago
ran away, sick of playing
Met a girl and danced.


HAIKU

Cool white moon hails spring
Red poppies and green hostas
Appear after long sleep.


WHAT'S HIDING ON THE BACK ROADS

A peaceful back road few people travel
hides boxes of different colors, like
crayons in a Crayola box. When spring
comes, and she won't be long now, bees
will be out foraging. I will stop my
car and see tiny swirls of bees
heading home to their hives, honey
for my morning tea.



WARM SOCKS LINED UP IN THE SUN TO DRY

I bought them all from the Sox Lady
in Furlong. Charlotte guided me
over the phone. Oh, we don't have
the pink ones anymore but we do
have the royal blue, the black,
the brown and the oatmeal.

They arrived in a huge package
with so much waste material inside
I thought, Maybe I should bury them
in the back yard instead of the
township dump.

Every day I put on a new clean pair.
The oatmeal is my favorite as it
resembles my former pink. Charlotte
could barely believe me when I said
those socks were so damn good I
haven't needed another pair in
forty-five years!


NEIGHBORS

Most of us know one another
by name - The Myers, The Lytles,
the Shermans. During the snowy
season, we vanish from view.

Now that it's spring we appear
on the sidewalks and see how
the others have changed.

Why, Bella, you've learned to
ride a bike; Spencer has gotten
new eyeglasses; Chico, the rescue
pup, is a full-grown mongrel who
pays no attention to me.

The chicadees perch outside
my living room window. Feathery-
soft, their call echoes throughout
the yard. How can I show my
appreciation?

Easy. I will paint their new
birdhouses, waiting for a
fair day on the screened-in
back porch.

A Mozart quintet will play
on the radio as my paint brush
slaps a new pattern on each
new house.

* * *

WASHING MY FACE

How fine it feels to use
my fingers to wash my face
I close my eyes and feel
my cheekbones, forehead
lips and neck, all the
while, outside my
bathroom window, a
red-headed woodpecker
plummets, searching for
his toast and jam.




HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TO THE
GARBAGE CANS ON OUR STREET

If I've forgotten to thank you
let it be now, o squirrel-proof
garbage can I bought at Village
Hardware in Hatboro, maker of
revolutionary hats - doff doff -
feathers and all
for the War of Independence.

The Adams Family, the Myers Family,
the Kiernans, the whole lot of us
getting rid of our weekly detritus
just as I'm sure you know by now
the heavens shirk off theirs by
sinking it down black holes.

Live in the moment, shall we?
Wayne Dyer has passed, so has
Louise Hay, let's drink a
cuppa tenderness, with both
hands and wake up refreshed
in the morning.

 ***

No comments:

Post a Comment