Sunday, March 25, 2018

Information for Loved Ones from New Directions Support Group

This is very important information!

New Directions was founded by myself in 1986, when manic-depression - Bipolar One - struck me out of the blue. I was the divorced mother of two young children, Sarah and Dan.

I've devoted most of my life to helping heal people with bipolar disorder, anxiety, depression, schizoaffective disorder and schizophrenia.

Many of these people have great gifts!

If you are having problems, do not hesitate to call your psychiatrist. That's what they're for!

We've helped loads of people find competent, caring psychiatrists.

Recently, a wife I'll call "Amy" called and asked me how she could help her husband "Harry."

As you may know, there is a high divorce rate among people with bipolar and/or depression. We'd like to help keep couples together.

A married couple we know - George and Ann - had a big house in Abington. When they quarreled or couldn't get along, they'd each move into separate quarters.  I still remember their dachsund. They passed away several years ago.

Amy must realize that Harry will speak to his psychiatrist if he's in trouble. Her support, though, is crucial. She can't possibly understand what he's going through. 

I advised Amy to read our 2018 Compass magazine.

Below is a video we made in 2014 about our group.

Click here.

Carole and Greg Hodges run our loved ones' group at Abington Presbyterian Church and do an outstanding job! We're so appreciative of their common sense and dedication.

Many spouses become "clingy." Both the diagnosed member and the spouse.

During crises, this is fine, but after the person is stabilized, we discourage it.

Each individual is a separate person who lives his/her own life with their own interests, hobbies, and friends of both sexes.

I like to hang out with fellow writers and poets.

Many people in New Directions have wonderful, long-lasting marriages. 



In 2013, I published YES I CAN:  My Bipolar Journey.

I'm a psychotherapist in private practice at my home in Willow Grove, PA.

Best way to get better is to have good meds and talk therapy. Did you know that talking stimulates neurons in the brain?

We also advocate for exercise and eating healthy.

What did you have for breakfast today?

Oh, you skipped it?

Not a good idea. At New Directions we partner with the nutritionist at Giant Supermarket.

   Here's Mary Ann Moylen talking to us in the Giant Coffeeshop about eating well.

Since Mary Ann moved, Christina Fava-Bean is her able replacement.

Here are other resources for spouses.

Learn as much as you can about bipolar and the other conditions your spouse suffers from.

Here's a talk I gave at the Doylestown Wellness Center where I discuss what to do about suicidal thoughts. How do I know? I've experienced them many a time. As have my friends.

Click here for a good read with loads of information

   Bruce Uhrich, M.Ed, has always hosted us. He's retired now.

John O'Reardon, MD, gave several talks at our group. Here's one. Johnny, as his patients call him, came to America from England by winning a lottery to allow in new immigrants.

Click here for very informative info.

  Dr John P O'Reardon

In addition, in my role as Founder/Director of New Directions, I write periodic guest columns in the Doylestown-PA based Intelligencer to widen understanding of mental illness, dispel myths about us, and lessen prejudice.

Related image

C'est moi. Wore this warm sweater to our every Saturday writing group and boasted, I got this sweater at a very expensive store:  Walmart.

In April, I'm celebrating the seventh anniversary of my kidney transplant. Sarah and I are hosting a party.

Namaste...

No comments:

Post a Comment