Monday, October 18, 2010

Home from Cleveland - Heights Temple

Dan and Nicole chronicle parenthood on Facebook. Here's how my granddaughter Grace looks at 2 months old.

My trip to Cleveland was spectacular. Donna and I were struck by the beauty of the suburbs - a unique layout of curved streets rathan the regular and boring square grids - and the way the sky seemed to come down to the earth, the way skies drawn by kindygartners do. Absolutely no one - including Howard Ross or the Fogels - knew what we were talking about.

Look out your window right now. How much sky do you see? I'll post photos later on.

Though I spent my first 19 yrs in Cleveland, few things looked familiar, and when I drove, I needed constant prompting.

Amazingly, the one sight that moved me the most, was the conservative synagogue we attended when we were kids: B'nai Jeshuron, known as Temple on the Heights, or Heights Temple. Built in the 1920s by noted Boston architect Charles Greco, it was sold to private investors in 1980, when its congregants were moving to suburbs farther away. The temple's huge dome can be seen for miles.

As soon as I saw that temple, I knew I must get out of the car and simply look. Look...think...reflect...let my mind wander free.

I could not believe the impact that symbol had on me.



I'd describe it as majestic.

No comments:

Post a Comment