Thursday, October 7, 2010

I'm on the Active List - Showdown at AMH

Apparently I'm psychologically fit for a kidney transplant since Paige Lockwood, my t'plant coordinator called me this morning and said she put me on the 'active list.'

Dr Ajita Mathur, who specializes in interviewing transplant patients, wore a white lab coat w/her name stitched on it. She is a lovely young physician, very kind, and asked me lots of questions in our 45-minute interview which began on time.

Like most psychiatrists, she was skeptical my manic-depression had gone away for good, so I gave her my friend Pam's cellphone number to confirm. Pam told Dr Mathur she had never seen me psychotic.

After Paige called me I gave her my cellphone number and told her I didn't know how to answer it. She then called me on my cellphone which was now ringing magically in my hand.

I pressed the SEND button - and lo! - there was Paige on the other end.

The friggin SEND button.

I told her I'm going to Cleveland for 5 days next week, so they can give the kidney to someone else. I've gotta see my old haunts and my old aunt.

Since I have Hep C, I'm at an advantage cuz I can qualify for kidneys from a deceased donor who had Hep C. The transplant team recently evaluated me and said I don't need a dual transplant - both liver and kidney - ugh ugh - that my C hasn't done irreparable damage. Burp!

Average wait for a kidney for someone with B blood type is 5.5 years. For me, with the advantages of having Hep C, it could be "any day now."

It was a miserably rainy day when I drove down to Einstein, clutching the directions in my hand...



I liked this wedge-shaped building which was not designed by Frank Gehry...



This, ladies and gentleman, is the inside of an elevator in the Dixon Building at Abington Memorial Hospital. I was supposed to take the elevator to the basement for a meeting with Rick Fullan, administrative director of mental health, and Mary Ann Delaney, chair of the department of psychiatry. I have named this: The Crazy Elevator and use it as a metaphor to explain the labyrinthine mental health system in the entire United States, and more specifically, here in Montgomery County, PA...



We met from 11 to 12 in comfy chairs in Rick's office. Nice man. Dr Delaney is a nice woman. Here's an email I sent to them as a result of our meeting.

If you have any idea what this email means, please write back.

Hi Rick and Mary Ann --

Thanks for meeting with me this morning.

I appreciate your being open to the idea of making a commitment to Urgent Care from Creekwood or other arm
of Abington Hospital. This would avoid hospitalization and allow a patient who needs a med adjustment to be
seen and evaluated without delay.

I think it would also be helpful for your ER staff to have 'sensitivity training' in dealing with patients with
mental health problems. Montgomery County Emergency Services in Norristown does this with all local
police departments. In fact, if you go to any police dept, you'll see the MCES brochures in the waiting room.

The one 'horror story' I have about ER staff took place about 15 years ago when I drove a manic-psychotic
man to the ER. I told the staff I couldn't stay with him b/c I had to get home to my little children. I advised them
to see him ASAP and keep an eye on him at all times b/c he wanted to leave. Unfortunately, John 'escaped' -
it was the evening - and he walked 6 hours home to his parents' house in Warminster where he slit his throat.
Fortunately, he lived, and is now doing okay.

Per your request, Rick, we will forward any complaints about ER treatment directly to you.

I like the idea of knowing about Advance Directives, available at http://papsych.org/ Would love to have Mary Ann write a brief article about this for our Compass magazine, which I'm
editing right now.

Feel free to consult me on any issues where you need a fair and humane opinion.

With high hopes,

Ruth Z Deming, MGPGP (Master, Group Process & Group Psychotherapy)
Director
New Directions Support Group, Inc.
held at Abington Presbyterian Church (evening) and the Willow Grove Giant Supermarket Coffeeshop (daytime)
www.newdirectionssupport.org
215 659 2142

1 comment:

  1. delaney never got back to me. fullan didn't support any of my ideas.

    ReplyDelete