Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Prednisone to the rescue



Here's an email I sent to a few trusty friends who are following my sciatia agony and lack of progress...until today:

had an excellent visit w/ my family doctor, seth sands, who is filling in for jim foxhall. he did a brief exam and ascertained i have sciatica.

he spent a lot of time w/me and listened to all my complaints including a new one - a very painful toe. When we took off my sock the toe was red and hot and he said it was some fort of gout which should subside w/the new med he prescribe.

that med is prednisone. this is a steriod and may produce 'labile moods' or moodswings. last time i took it got very angry. grrr.

he thought possiby the neurontin i'm taking for pain (useless) might help the moodswings.

scott's making dinner now. i need to take the pred with food, so we'll see what happens.

thanks everyone for your concern. i'm fine as long as i lay on my belly on scott's bed.

I took an hour's nap while trying to send out this email. being in pain makes you very very tired. and spelling? every word i type is wrong. just overlook it please.

deep down i'm still the same ruth z deming. remind me when i'm better to tell you about the trip to the willow grove giant supermarket w/me stowed face down in the backseat. for comfort. while scott was buy tonite's food and my new meds. Pred is a bitter pill.

once three years ago i fot inappropriately angry at a famous local psychiatrist. i'm so embarrassed i'd never mention his name to you. laszlo gyulai. then i called up and apologized. steroids, i said.

i'm lying here cringing. some bipolars laff hysterically about their past crimes.

oh, did i ever tell you bout the time... just kidding.

marce, thanks for calling. i went home to check o see where i put chris hall's phone no. - he's my painting teacher - but it wasn't anywhere there. i found your name on the caller ID.

i can't stand up for more than 5 minutes, the pain is so severe.

5 comments:

  1. Prednizone may have saved my life, once. It certainly pulled me out of a downward spiral that had nearly crippled me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to know, mr kracker. good to know. you and i both have been buffeted by life's trials all of which while we're in unspeakably beautiful places!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ruth, I am unhappy to hear you are still suffering. Yes, prednisone can do wonders for many things but can have its ill effects. When you get better, you will take extra good care of yourself, diet-wise and all else, I am sure so that will counter the prednisone and possible negative effects. Kim took it for the MS flare ups and had to stop because he saw little green men--literally but I know others it helped with this disease during a bad period. I know someone who also takes neurontin for pain and I get why they THINK it might work but it isn't working for her either.
    Hope the prednisone pulls you out of this terrible episode. I am amazed you are still doing blog entries. I am rooting for you to feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Love the pics of sweet Baby Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. first of all, methinks i feel a tad bit better. was able to sit up just now, as i clicked off a boring charlie rose. so i think it's working. what a shame tho about its side effex - those ittle green men! my aunt hyacinth, whom you remember, saw them when they gave her something in an old-age home in oregon.people just love o adminisiter drugs.

    my daughter called me a bloggin machine. it's one of only a couple of productive things i can do.

    ReplyDelete