Saturday, October 23, 2010

Greetings to the People at the Upper Moreland Library Panel Discussion on Bipolar and Depression


Gosh, how I wish I could've been there this afternoon. Margie Peters, director, said she expects a good crowd. They did this presentation b/c of the requests of library patrons who wanted to learn more about the treatable illnesses of bipolar and depression.

Since I'm home lying in bed with painful sciatica, I got the best possible person to take my place: Ada Moss Fleisher. This woman cannot be praised enough. If GF Handel were still alive, he should be commissioned to write An Ode to Ada.



Joe Moore, an alumni of our group, will also take the stage. Joe has a group of friends from New Directions that he stays in touch with over the years. This is what we teach at our group: call one another in good times and in bad.

Mark Amos of Bux-Mont printers in Hatboro printed up the third edition of my life story. I wanted to change the title and thought that something would come to me as I rewrote the book, but nothing did. The orig. title I cribbed from the Sammy Davis autobiography. My book is Yes I Can: Taking Charge of your Bipolar Disorder and your Depression.

Ada's husband, Dr Rich Fleisher, kindly shlepped an entire carton of these 44-page books to the library. They also contain nearly a dozen of my poems including The Lucky Seven, a particular favorite of mine. And no one else's.

I've made peace with the knowledge I can't join up with everyone today. That library is my library. I worked there when I was getting my master's degree at Hahnemann, my son worked there in high school, I'm friends with all the staff - an incredibly warm bunch of people - oh Ruth, the movie you requested has come in.

I was also great friends w/the former librarian Lillian Burnley. I used to volunteer for her every Friday. Before she'd give me my chores, we'd sit in her office and chat. This one and that one were always stopping in to talk to this great social force who either liked you or did not.

She was a marvelous raconteur and I transformed three of her tales into priceless prize-losing poems. I'll see if I can dig em up for you.

Within the pages of my blog I talk about many things: my defunct manic depression; my end-stage renal disease; my recent trip to Cleveland Ohio; my joie de vivre.

Currently I have no one mad at me, which is nice.

Scott just brought in my mail: a Smithsonian magazine with an elephant on the cover. Oh, I said to Scott, wouldn't you just love to touch his gentle ear?

No way! screamed Scott. The guy would stomp on you, he's a male. Look at you, there's a dead mouse in the trap and you won't even look at him when I throw it away.

Such is life.

I believe that the more your mind can rove, the better off you'll be, bipolar or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment