Wednesday, December 2, 2020

You too can watch THE SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO

 

Just watched the entire film THE SNOW OF KILIMAJNARO starring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner and Susan Hayward. It was very long and gruesome, in parts, but I stuck with it, munching peanuts.

The entire film is available on YouTube.

The winds are howling right now. Just stuck my head out the door but didn't go out, don't want to wash my hands again.

I will however drink some hot tea.

When Mike and I lived in Married Student Housing in Austin, TX, I had a job as secy to Herbert G Tigner. He was an incredible bigot and I may have wrin about him before. 

There wasn't much work to do as he had a bunch of companies that were being closed down - can't remember why - possibly exorbitant interest rates for poor people - so one day my friend Jackie Smith and I were sitting in the lobby.

She was the receptionist. The entire place was, I kid you not, a disgusting mess.

One time I played a trick on her and said, Jackie, come with me to the back. There is a gorgeous bathroom there.

Picture the bathroom from hell.

I had brought a book I was reading by Hemingway, who won a Nobel Prize for Literature. 

  • The Nobel Prize in Literature 1954 was awarded to Ernest Miller Hemingway "for his mastery of the art of narrative, most recently demonstrated in The Old Man and the Sea, and for the influence that he has exerted on contemporary style."

I read her the entire short story THE SHORT HAPPY LIFE OF FRANCIS McCOMBER. 

Wonderful! We loved it.

Now, a while later I got pregnant with Sarah, who is now 46 yrs old, I think. Born in 1974. Dan was born in 1976.

Jackie and husband Ken leant me a beautiful white crib for little Sarah Lynn. Back then you didn't know if the child was a boy or a girl.


I'm quite sure that crib was at my parents' house for a good long while.

As for Jackie and Ken, I have no idea where they are. Sadly, Jackie was a drunk who drank every night before bed before falling asleep.

I loved her deeply. 

No comments:

Post a Comment