Friday, August 23, 2019

More on Loneliness - Poem: Loneliness is like a cup of cold coffee


Image result for pbs kids

I woke up to the sound of the PBS children's channel and got caught up in the story line. The writers are terribly clever. They've gotta know what's going on in the entire world plus the heavens above. In fact they took a rocket to some unknown planet.

As I changed into my clothes for the day - pink striped shorts and black tank top with fake rhinestones - I had a revelation.

First, though, lemme tell you what I watched last night - the intro to Ken Burns COUNTRY MUSIC. It was all about great voices and great ambition.

Dolly Parton came from

Dolly Rebecca Parton was born January 19, 1946, in a one-room cabin on the banks of the Little Pigeon River in Pittman Center, Tennessee, a very small community in Sevier County in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.[4] She is the fourth of 12 children born to Avie Lee Caroline (née Owens; 1923–2003) and Robert Lee Parton Sr. (1921–2000). 

She was determined to leave town and become 'someone.'

*
So here I am in my striped shorts and tank top ready to sip on my coffee, sitting on my fan, along with last night's Earl Grey Breakfast tea.

I'm just not ready yet for my breakfast which includes taking four different vitamins. Often I skip a day.

*

When I woke up I realized I'm ALL ALONE, I don't live with anyone. I don't have a mommy or daddy or grandma to take care of me.

Whoa!

When did that happen?

Obviously, Scott would find me if God took a notion to striking me dead.

*



When my late friend Judy Diaz left for Colorado, she tried to sell some of the items she and her ex, Andy Diaz, bought in Pakistan.

More coffee please.

I'd like to write more about living all alone in a big beautiful house.

Who can I tell? Who can I tell?

I mean, I just lay there in bed, thinking, thinking.

All sorts of distractions, of course. Gotta finish a library book by Sunday. I've renewed it the maximum amount of times.

What I want is a meaningful job.

Any ideas?

AS LONELY AS A COLD CUP OF COFFEE

Strange sounds hover in the distance
a faraway airplane
the clack of the railroad
sipping sounds which make the coffee
taste better
a young man come tromping thru my yard
football practice at the high school
watch them brains of yours, sonny,
dementia at thirty ain't no fun

Glumsville outdoors
But suddenly, suddenly

A parade comes down the middle of our street
on one of them Macy-like floats
Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, a cardboard cutout of the
late Patsy Cline, and Patrick Stoner the ringmaster
holding out his hat for contributions.

The reeds sway in the breeze
And the hummingbird quivers with delight.



No comments:

Post a Comment