Thursday, July 18, 2019

County workers fix the street while I loaf - Poem: New Jack Reacher Book

 Early this morning before the heat came in, I walked around the block. Signs said Get out of the way, we're coming through - Napoleon Bonaparte
 My favorite truck was the one with the yellow umbrella, matching their yellow shirts.

As you can see today was garbage day. Scott brought ours in very early.
A purple hibiscus appeared overnight. WHERE are you?

The guys with the umbrella remind me of my tiny clay sculpture of Simon Baniewicz. He would have loved being alive, but cancer killed him. I wrote a novel about him which has been rejected near and far.


I keep precious objects in this Chinese cabinet. If I buy it, said I, at the nearby Staples shopping center, you must hang it up for me.

Made this scrumptious soup in my crock pot last night. Looks like I have a lot of scrubbing to do.

Hey, is it time for pre-dinner?

The soup is F A N T A S T I C !!!

Was determined to finish PAST TENSE by Lee Child this morning. So I lay in bed, fan trained on me, and read, and slept and read and slept.

As I was nearing the end, I was getting, well, ecstatic, it was so damn good.

What poem shall I write now?

THE NEW JACK REACHER BOOK

Reacher, described as light-haired,
rough, neither good or bad looking
appears in a 488-page book where
he doesn't get into a fight
until the last few chapters.

Some wise guy has the bright idea
of bringing millionaires and billionaires
up to his mountain hotel in Vermont,
where they will play a game, shooting
and killing human beings with cross bows.

People will watch and place bets on the Internet.

Somehow and unlikely as it seems
Jack Reacher gets involved.
"Dyou realize," he says to one
of the players "that you've just
killed a human being?"

Although Reacher kills him with the
same arrows from the guy's quiver,
he can't elicit any information
from him about what's going on.

In the office of the hotel, the owner
whose name is also Reacher from a long
line of them reaching back centuries
a host of TVs show the heart flow
of each person, players and victims alike
which are the same.

My God, cries the owner, half of them
are dead!

Every single player must die and
Reacher's not loath to accomplish this.
Very very bad men are left including
the owner.

"Where's that tub of lard?" cries Reacher,
and the other baddies are eager to point,
hoping a bargain can be made.

Our man Reacher grabs the wrists of
several men and squeezes as hard as he can
breaking every bone in the wrist.

YOW YOW HELP HELP LET GO LET GO

He also congratulates the first fools
who arrived, knowing not where they were
only they could not escape.
Patti Sunderson and Shorty Fleck,
who played the game and won.

They abscond with billions of dollars to
Florida where they will set up hotels and
bait shops and everything pleasing to
the retired or the relaxers.

Then Reacher asks for a ride to Laconia
New Hampshire from a pastor nearby and
says drop me off where I can get a
good cup of hot coffee.

Reacher owns no car, is not a good driver,
but, man, can he walk like a Kenyan across
the Mojave Desert.

ONE HELLUVA READ. I THANK YOU KINDLY
MR LEE CHILD.





No comments:

Post a Comment