Sunday, June 16, 2019

Sometimes a thought brings on a poem

Rem and I were writing back and forth in the wee hours of the morning. He and Mark had seen a film by Fassbinder, who I looked up on YT.

He said my story The Death Room is ready to be sent to an editor. That's what I wrote for today's Writing Group.

The topic of donuts came up. A NY Times article on being in love with a Nazi, who owned, among other things, Krispy Kreme Donuts.

I said to Rem, I'd rather eat cheddar cheese and a slice of cucumber. Here goes.... and the problem, as my SIXTEEN readers know is that I may lose this entire entry.

And I continue to read the 9/11 book.

Clearing of throat to get ready for poem.


IN LIEU OF A DONUT

Dedicated to the late Judy Diaz

Judy, do have a seat beside me on my red crumb-filled couch
You'll notice my sea-foam green slippers which can take me
right into the water like Virginia Woolf. I of course have no
intention of leaving, not just yet.
The food's too good, the views too spectacular, and I still
can write a thing or two.

We'll use these shatterless Corelle bowls delivered from
Walmart. Cheddar Cheese from Cabot in Vermont, where
lazy cows with huge sticky tongues know not what they do
as they prepare haystacks of cheese

And cukes! Only someone like the Almighty can invent
such a seeded wonder. The color beyond compare. Like a
baby sea turtle perhaps.
The crunch, the cucumber crunch engages our entire jaw
tongue safely stowed away ... we don't even know how
they grow, nor do we care.

Have another Judy with a hint of salt.


No comments:

Post a Comment