Thursday, June 6, 2019

Dan Deming on the line - Heroes of Tianamen Square

Was I seeing things?

My son's name was on the Caller ID.

What was this world coming to?

Here was his plan.

He'd pick me up. We'd eat at a taco place near the LOWE's in Warminster, I believe, and then we'd buy shrubs for his front garden.

In the car he said he'd been thinking about THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Dan, that's great I said. Since he'd gotten married I wondered if all he thought about was making money and consumer products.

He looked so handsome when he picked me up in his shorts and cap.

He was spurred on bc he had to return a defective propane tank from our get-together on Memorial Day.



The food was delicious and we sat outside.

The place is in Willow Grove but quite far away.

He mentioned Stephen Hawking's views on the meaning of life. And explained them.

Sarah, I said, thinks like that, too.

When she was a little girl she mentioned she thought she might be the only one in the world.

Scott wonders if God is doing an experiment with people.

When I interviewed Robinson Fredenthal for an article in Art Matters, I sent him the cover of a Times Mag, with Hawking in his wheelchair, and said, Anything is possible.

Fredenthal had Parkinson's.

He ended up in an apt for disabled people and taught them art!

On the day he died, I called Roger Wilco Liquor store and told them the sculpture in front of their Jersey store was done by Fredenthal.

I hoped that at one of them cared.

Below is the Akuba shrub I had Dan buy.

Stays green all winter.




When I awoke this morning my HEEL was in horrible pain. When I looked it up on the Net, the word plantar fasciitis swam into view.

I did the exercises and the heel is better.

I wanna write a poem about

Tiananmen Square

June 4, 1989

part of a bloody crackdown on dissent that killed unknown numbers of unarmed protesters and bystanders.

The army seemed in complete control. But then, the next day, something remarkable happened.

In an act that would reverberate around the world, a solitary man stood his ground before a column of advancing tanks on Chang'an Boulevard, which runs directly into Tiananmen Square.

His identity and his ultimate fate remain a mystery — but his lonely act of defiance, captured by photographers watching nearby, became an icon of the fight for freedom around the globe.

FRONTLINE investigated this extraordinary confrontation, and China’s attempts to erase it from history, in the 2006 documentary The Tank Man.

As the world marks the 30-year anniversary of the Chinese government’s Beijing massacre, we invite you to revisit this landmark documentary — which is available to stream on PBS.org, the PBS Video App and on YouTube.

Will write a poem and get back to you.


HEROES IN CHINA

China has loomed large in my mind. A sprawling country
directly below us on the globe. When I dug in the grass
I could hear the Chinamen with their high pitched voices
thousands of them.

Years ago, I hosted a Chinese exchange student from Beijing.
Every morning he drank a cup of warm water and did tai chi
in the back yard. Good-natured, his dream was to move
to America. Where are you now, young man.

Where are you now, heroes of Tianamen? Did you ever exist?
The massacre was massive as the songs of freedom rang
in your hearts.

We are with you, Brave Ones. Always and forever.
Despotism will one day fall away. And freedom
will ride like a horseman with wind in his hair.






No comments:

Post a Comment