Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Oh no! Not Tina Benco - Poem for Benco and Helene

Just came home from Scott's after watching ALL THAT JAZZ.

Is it just me or was it a terrible film? Roy Scheider, a skinny guy who looked like Sammy Davis Jr was a druggie and it showed the pill bottle of Dexedrine he took to wake up, and other pills to stay awake and go to sleep. Sex was his sleeping partner. Didn't matter who.

Let's see what Siskal and Ebert, both dead, and Vincent Canby have to say about the film.

When he is not planning for his upcoming stage musical or working on his Hollywood film, choreographer/director Joe Gideon (Roy Scheider) is popping pills and sleeping with a seemingly endless line of women. The physical and mental stress begins to take a toll on the ragged perfectionist. Soon, he must decide whether or not his non-stop work schedule and hedonistic lifestyle are worth risking his life. The film is a semi-autobiographical tale written and directed by the legendary Bob Fosse.

When I came home I put my snacks away - pretzels and peanuts - called Mom to say hello - and then came upstairs to check my emails. 

Spoke to 91 yo Helene Ryesky this morning. She's doing fine but won't avail herself of the activities at Manatawny Manor. Be my guest and goggle the place. They're mostly all the same. Based on Quaker values... nothing like it in Pennsylvania. Helene warned my mother not to go into a home.

Sent her a letter with a new poem I wrote called

SILENT PANTOMIME

Possibly the birds are the most adaptable
of creatures. Once a plague decimated the crows
from our neighborhood. Now they're back. New DNA?
Their cries are magnificent, warning the wildlife -
the deer, the skunk, the bluejays, the tiny sparrows
living in my pink birdhouse - that man is about.

A procession strides along the sidewalk across the street.
Do they hear me sneeze - achoo achoo - from the invisible
pollen on our street. I hope so. I like to be noticed.

Mama comes first, pushing what seems to be a thousand-
pound baby, while junior in red shorts and T-shirt
is in a world of his own. Lucky little man. Lastly
is a panting Golden Retriever who looks like he's
about to enter Doggie Heaven.

All the while cabbage butterflies, as they're called
flit around with a black spot on their backs,
another scourge of mankind, laying eggs and
ruining our crops.

Have you remembered my sweet nectarine, Helene?
The oatmeal is ready. A meal in one. What a
fine cook you were. Your famous pie with
liquer inside. Salads with carrots and beets.

Still alive, still making trouble, can life
at Manatawny be all that bad? 
*

What made me goggle my client Tina Benco. What a shock I got.

We are deeply saddened to announce the passing of Tina M. Destephanis-Benco
Tina M. Destephanis-Benco of Penndel, PA passed away peacefully surrounded by her loving family on December 3, 2018 at the Hospital at the University of Pennsylvania, she was 51 years old.

Born in Levittown, PA Tina was a wonderful stay-at-home mom. She enjoyed sitting on the beach and listening to the ocean along with spending time in Disney World. Tina loved the Philadelphia Flyers, her beloved cats, shopping and spending time with her granddaughter.

She also loved dolphins, as I remember, and wore dolphin jewelry. 

She was not ill when I knew her. 

In a moment I will write a tribute to her.

Tina will be dearly missed by her fiance Michael Malampy of Penndel, her sons Sean Destephanis and his wife Christina of New Hampshire and Ryan Benco of Virginia. Along with her granddaughter Esme` and two sisters Mary Ellen Donnelly and Nancy Weaver.
Relatives and friends are invited to her funeral service 3pm Saturday, December 8, 2018 at the Faust Funeral Home Inc. 902 Bellevue Ave. Hulmeville, PA 19047. Where friends will be recieved from 12pm until service time at 3pm. Interment will be private. Memorial contributions may be sent in Tina’s name to the National Breast Cancer Foundation www.nationalbreastcancer.org or to American Liver Foundation www.liverfoundation.org
www.faustfuneralhome.com

A SIMPLE GIRL

Always on time, shy, a simple smile on her lips
she offered simple joy which lit up the room.

Her boyfriend Michael was quite a catch
handsome as a matinee idol. If they
quarreled I never saw it, love was always
in the air.

I am saddened that cancer the crab entered
her body and began its course of destruction.

Had I said a proper goodbye when I left
the agency? Today I would hold her close
with a warm hug.

A simple girl, not terribly long for this world,
Fifty-one, comforted by loved ones sitting
around the hospital bed, her eyes closed
for the very last time as she ascended
with confidence to the Other World.




No comments:

Post a Comment