Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Upper Moreland Library Poetry Night, from 6 to 8 pm

Image result for open book of poetry

When I walked into the room, I said, "Oh, hi Steve!" 

And there was poet about town, Steve Delia, a great force for local poetry.

He and librarian Alex, a stunning blonde, organized the gig. 

I asked if it was OK to take photos, so click click click I goes with my
purple camera.

The worst photos I have ever taken.

Autumn Knopka was there. View her profile here


She read a striking poem about being physically abused as a child, which brought out her feelings about the newest Supreme Court Justice.

The great Mike Cohen was also there with wife Connie.

A performance poet, he stood at the podium and made everyone laugh, while crying underneath about all the terrible things that could happen to us. 

While watching Judy Woodruff and the PBS Evening News, I was eating hummus and Triscuits. 

In the kitchen, I checked to see if the Wasp was still outside.

First he tried to build a nest in my mailbox.

Then he tried on the back yard deck.

My friend Margie Lawlor read a piece about diners. Such nostalgia we all felt.

I read four poems.

Puffs

Fans of Foreign Cinema Thursday Film Series

The Rohinga

The Upper Moreland Public Library whose director Mrs Lillian Burnley was once at the helm.

Below is one of the many poems I wrote about her.

FAREWELL TO MY FAVORITE LIBRARY DIRECTOR

On the retirement of Lillian Burnley

I shall miss you
Lillian Burnley
more than you'll know.

Our quick chats
squeezed between
mountains of work

Your colorful blouses:
large flowers blooming across
your body as if clinging
forever to the one
they love most

The way you spoke so kindly to your staff
the way you refused to take credit
for the greatness of the library
though really it was yours.

When I saw your rock as paperweight
I knew we were kindred souls
You are that rock.

They can hire a million librarians.
Graduates from famous universities
the Librarian of Congress himself
But nowhere will they find another
you, another Lillian,

The only woman who
when I call you on the phone
answers as if she were
expecting my call
all along.

- Ruth Z. Deming 
March 9, 2007
Williamson’s Restaurant


No comments:

Post a Comment