Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Holocaust remembrance day - Poem: I Remember Him - Aristides de Sousa Mendez

When Scott emailed me this NY Times story, I knew I had to write a poem about it.

I REMEMBER HIM WELL

He had a conscience
when few others did
O, holy are the Just
Holy are The Righteous

The Nazis roared their way
to world domination, led by
that odd man with the high
hysterical voice, beloved
by dogs of all kinds

Our man had a long name
befitting his Portuguese
ancestry - Aristides de
Sousa Mendez - just a name -
but no, stop right there,
destined to save Jews -
tens of thousands of them -
though, like Christ, despised
and crucified by all who
knew him at the end.

As consul-general in
Bordeaux, 400 miles
from Paree, he exercised
his power to grant
"fit individuals" leave
for Spain.

Such a handsome man was he
Tall and elegant, with 19
children - let's toast to that
with some feisty Bordeaux wine

Perhaps you remember him
as do I? Fed him his supper
at our Jewish soup kitchen.

Dead and forgotten at sixty-four.





Here's our hero with the first six of his 19 children.

***

Just woke up from a delicious nap. Fell asleep to James Lee Burke's THE NEW IBERIA BLUES. Excellent!

Drama last night with Scott.

I asked his help to show me how to use a cutting tool called a mandolin I bought from Giant.

Immediately he cut his thumb. And it would not stop bleeding.

The closest one was near my CVS, 20 mins away. It was getting dark and I can't really drive in the dark plus it had begun to rain.

I drove to the Urgent Care nearest us, near the Barnes and Noble.

It was gone!

Available, read the sign.

***

He patched up his thumb with a BandAir made of material, not plastic.

And he went to work.

He stopped over this morning to tell me the good news. He worked all night inside where it wasn't cold - 19 degrees or so -

And he changed and cleaned out his wound this morning and is asleep now.

My brave Scottie!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment