Friday, January 18, 2019

Uncle Joe Dautcher - Mary Oliver dies at 83 - Listen to interview with Krista Tippitt



UNCLE JOE DAUTCHER'S FARM MARKET

On my upstairs bulletin board
their business card. Ellen and I
stopped by one hot summer morning.

Hiring? I asked.
Sure, said a portly woman.
Can you cook?

You tell me what to do,
and I'll do it, said I,
mopping my brow.

I wasn't fast enough
and Dautcher's went under
the wrecking ball.

Not another condo
on smothered farm land.
The pumpkins were large
as tiny planets,
the tomatoes cuddly
as baby does,
and the cinnamon buns
were weighed on the scale
and packaged in boxes
white as the winter sky.

Sure, they made a fortune,
and now they have time
for themselves. Sitting now
on the rocking chairs
on the porch, with Uncle Joe
calling, "Babe, how bout
some of them cinnamon buns?"

Just a sec, she says, going
into the house. "Always wanted
to hire this woman."

Is that them calling now? 

***


Krista Tippitt interviews Mary Oliver.



Most famous poems include The Summer Day aka The Grasshopper Poem


and Wild Geese


THE POETRY HANDBOOK IS TERRIFIC, says my friend Lori.

I believe I can download the eBook.

First, tho, gonna give CLOSE a chance on Netflix.

Enjoyed SOLO, a Spanish film panned by the Times, but not by me, and The Last Laugh, with Chevy Chase, 75, and Richard Dreyfuss, 71.



No comments:

Post a Comment