Friday, February 1, 2019

Shuffling thru the snow with my soup! - Poem: Snow

I was so glad my next-door neighbor Eileen was home. She'd been at her daughter Debbie's the day before.

I did not wanna eat my soup alone.

In fact, there's a Bible passage that reads, "Thou shalt not eat thy soup alone."

We sat at the Adams' long table, while the soup was heating on the stove.

Click click click click click!

Yes, it's one of those gas stoves like my mom has.

Eileen figured out how to work it.

In the center of the table were several cyclamen of different colors.



Wish I could reproduce our conversation. Eileen is hilarious!

Told her there were cannellini beans in the soup. Neither of us had ever had them.



Made the soup last night while listening to my audio book The Signature of All Things, which is quite good. Didn't like it at first, bc of the unlikeable characters, but it's gotten much better.

Finally we learned the meaning of the title.

Click here.

I am not reading about it as I have yet to finish.

Our Book Group is this Thursday at 2:30 pm.

I'm on disc 9 of 18.

Eileen and I had a great time.

After we ate, we worked on coloring books. They were a joke gift for Bill, her son.



The pictures were absy disgusting!

I started coloring in anudder book and I said, I'm not enjoying this at all.

So don't do it, Eileen said wisely.

I have an idea, I said.

Sarah and I talked about my painting something.

Draw yourself, she said.

So that's what I did.

I drew Eileen, using the colored pencils.

She loved it and said the photo reminded her of something on TV years ago.

Finally it came to her, Carol Burnett.

We discussed her hilarious show.



Here she is as Scarlett O'Hara.

Now, on our canvas, which was the back of one of the awful pages, I asked Eileen to draw flowers.

She did a great job, so she had a hand in making it.

"I feel like a kid," she said.

She drew flowers of many colors - red, yellow, green, purple and blue.

When Bill came downstairs - he works upstairs at home - I showed him our masterpiece.

Let's hang it up, I said.

It's now on their fridge.

***
Sydney, the Australian dog of the Kiernans, is leaping through the snow.

Did you ever wish you were an Australian sheep dog?



Sydney is all black and has grown super-fast.

***

Poem time.

Hmmm. What should I write about?

Bear with me, as my newspaper colleague Felicia would say.

Where has she gotten to?

Good, she's still around.


SNOW

The snow is in no hurry
as it silently falls on
all things.

Grace and Olivia
in their pink coats
walking confidently

down our street. Rooftops
painting patterns like
Matisse or van Gogh

Felicia backing out
her drive, smiling
at the remembrance

of working in the Newsroom.

Image result for photo of snowy car

No comments:

Post a Comment