Sunday, October 14, 2018

Taken by surprise! Poem: Helene's Music Box


Stewart Greenleaf Jr., a Republican attorney, announces he will run for the 12th District state Senate seat his father will vacate; his wife Heather by his side. (Dana DiFilippo/WHYY)

Was upstairs noodling around on my computer when I heard a knock on the door.

It's probly the kids, I thought, wanting to mow the lawn. It's not long enough yet.

Instead, a good-looking guy was standing there in a checked shirt, rather relaxed.

What's he gonna try to sell me?

New windows, was my guess.

It was Stewart Greenleaf, Jr. He introduced himself and I said, Oh, I'm gonna vote for you! Your dad did a great job and I'm sure you will too.

Let's look at his platform. Education and county pension reform are the 39-yo's priorities.

***

Just came home from Scott's. Fab pizza w cauliflower crust.

Image result for pizza with cauliflower crust

Didn't finish so I'll eat the rest tonight while we're watching TV. Netflix - Kindergarten Cop w Schwartzenegger and Kindergarten Teacher, both recommended by Marcy.

Finally talked to Marcy  from the Los Angeles area. She loves volunteering for the kitty-kat place.

I was eating some ors derves from Giant before dinner. The roasted garlic was delicious, as were the pitted olives. The artichokes literally made me choke.

Kindergarten Teacher was terrible. The woman was obsessed with her 5-yo student Joey, a wonderful actor, as was the teacher. I was in such distress watching the film, fearing she'd kill him.


***

Went to the kids' this morning. Remember those games I found at the end of the street? Dan, Grace and I played one of the card games.

Also gave her an Alice in Wonderland jig saw puzzle. Dan explained it may take quite a while to finish it, so he suggested she put it in a permanent place until she finishes.

Beatriz from my writing group does dat.

Bc Max and Nicole left to buy groceries, Grace, who is very calm and adultish at 8, watching some YouTube cooking shows.

At Mom's for lunch, she remembered that Aaron Ryesky used to do jigsaw puzzles.

Look at how dark it is at 6:19 pm.

***

Several people - Keith Shaw - Marcy - Iris - asked me why I went off Facebook.

Primarily bc few people paid any attention to what I posted.

I did get a couple readers for my poems and Stephen Stahl would always welcome his fans with a message about coffee. And he would answer every single response he received.

Let's give him a standing ovation right now!

I'm clapping by tapping on my laptop.

***

Grace felt very disappted, she told me, that she wasn't chosen in school to play the violin.

"I'm sorry to hear that," I said.

The cats were about - Doober, the fat cat - and Nudge the yellow calico.

***

HELENE'S MUSIC BOX

At the picking at Helene's in Rydal Park
I chose a lovely black beaded bag.
Inside was a music box.

When I asked Grace if she wanted it
she paused far too long. I want it
to be loved, cherished, for
once belonging to my friend Helene.

It's tiny, like a fragrant soap,
and sings Send in the Clowns.

Made in Japan, the clown
is sad-looking, strange-
looking. Rubbery red
lips and ears and an
enormous ruffled collar
like fluffy clouds
protecting us from harm.

***






No comments:

Post a Comment