Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Poem: My New Dishrags - Neeva the Miserable

My very short story RICKY IN JAIL was rejected by Flash Fiction Magazine. Of course I'll submit it somewhere else.

Remove me from your mailing list I spat back.

NEEVA THE MISERABLE

I don't care if you're having a bad day
I don't care if you haven't had enough sleep
When a customer comes through
Put on a mask and make like it's
a pleasure to serve us.

***
I needed new underwear so I parked at the library and walked down to the Motherhood store in the Marshall's shopping center.

Yes, it was for big-bellied women.

Dominique was my guide.

When she rang me up she said she was a surrogate mom for a friend of hers. An easy pregnancy, she said. They're best of friends.

As she said, she did something wonderful, helping start a new family, so now her life is complete. For now.

***
At Giant, I bought new dishcloths.
They're hanging on the white clothing rack now.

MY NEW DISHRAGS

My bowls and mugs
My skillets and Helene's
fine porcelain plates
made in Germany

Will love a good clean
scrubbing by you, "Made
in China."

A housewife, you may be,
Made in China, saving up
money so your two children
may sail across the Pacific
Harvard-bound or perhaps Yale.

Let them do better than you
and your lazy husband.





No comments:

Post a Comment