Monday, December 17, 2018

Why can't I fall asleep on Sunday nights? - Poem: Volunteering with the Elderly

I did watch a couple of seasons of Victoria and loved it!

lord mHere's Lord Melbourne played by Rufus Sewell. No relation to Rufous Hummingbird.

Oh, I'm just showing off my Dunning-Kruger Effect, the less you know about something, the more you think you know.

But I was right about the hummingbird.

Specifically I wanted to talk to you about Romeo, my hopping spider.

Late at night - and I hate when I do dis - I came downstairs in the cold dark kitchen to get some Triscuits and cheese.

There he was! Romeo! He had violated my personal space. Our unsigned pact was Remain in the basement.

He's very sensitive. I removed my slippers and grabbed a towel off the oven handle. Then I sprang! Once, twice, three times.

Got him!

In my socks, I went out onto the slippery back porch and flung the towel as far away as I could.

Go with God, I did not say.

This morning, I walked down the back porch steps, removed the towel and could see absolutely nothing!

Just a bunch of grass, leaves, small sticks and other colorful winter rubble, Barney.

Decided to stay home today and not go to my volunteer job. The voice of Stigs answered.

WHAT AWAITS ME AT MY VOLUNTEER JOB TODAY

Wheelchairs
Canes
Walkers
Dementia
Lewey Body Disease
They've sent my buddy Ray
to The Alzheimer's Farm
Helpful aides never give up
Bingo's a favorite
Our eyes wander over the green fields
of letters and numerals
Triggering memory brain cells, we hope.
Enjoy every moment of life today
It's all we've got.

My sister Lynn gave me a good review on my story BRIAN AND THE FERRIS WHEEL.

"So good," she wrote.

That quote will be published on the back of my short story collection. She also gave me a $50 cash donation for New Directions, which I'll mail in right now.

Am I in a hurry to watch Springsteen on Broadway?  No. But I'd like to write a fictional story about him from the point of view of, perhaps, a rat on Broadway.

Gonna take a 20-min nap now, falling asleep to Haruki Murakami's Killing the Commandante.

We finally found out what that term meant.

Killing Commendatore by Haruki Murakami - Cover.png






No comments:

Post a Comment