Sunday, July 6, 2014

I meet Jazz DJ Bob Perkins of WRTI-FM - Day with Sarah and Ethan - Big bash at my house for my family - Morris Arboretum - Poem: Barber's Adagio for Strings

I'm shopping at the Willow Grove Giant Food store and compliment a gentleman on his lovely shirt. Turns out it's the one and only Bob Perkins, jazz DJ at WRTI-FM. His wife Sheila kindly photographed us.

Called my friend Judy Diaz to let her know I'd met him and she was absolutely thrilled!

I could hear her cat Missy meowing in the background.

Our party to celebrate the arrival of Ethan and Sarah.

I asked my pet tiger, Richard Parker, if he'd behave himself and act as the Greeter for the party.

Sure, he growled softly, so I put him outside on the grass.

The party was held in the house and on the front lawn.

 Dan and Max on the spinning chair.

 Jade and Matt hovering over the feast.

Matt is sposed to be a dead-ringer for the actor Matthew McConaughey

I thot a moment and asked if he were in one of my fave movies, Dallas Buyers Club. Yes, he said. 

 My sister Lynn lived in Bonita Springs FL for a couple of years but decided to move back home to New Hope. Sarah spent the day before with Nikki and Steve and swam in their pool in NJ. She brought back garden veggies from Jersey, including tomatoes and cukes, which we used in the salad.
 We went shopping at the Willow Grove Giant. Appetizers included fresh pineapple wrapped inside prosciutto. Cherries and pistachios. Quesedillas filled with either chicken or kimchee, whatever that hot stuff is called.

 Sarah forgot how to use my new Cooktop with its counterintuitive knobs, so it took 45 mins for the water to boil.

I made a delicious scallops dish, which turned into a soup when I added the juice of a whole lemon. Also present were mushrooms and peppers of many colors and fresh basil and parsley.
 What a treat it was sitting outside on the grass and chomping away.
 Sarah broiled Jersey tomatoes and zucchini and grated cheese.

She also made this incredible salmon. Ethan calls her a genius in the kitchen, to which we all agree.
Ethan commented that this is what Americans do in the suburbs. Celebrate the Fourth of July with our BBQs and our families and friends.

Sitting on the rough wet grass.... James Agee wrote about this collective experience and it was set to music by Samuel Barber, who attended Curtis Institute of Music, here in Philadelphia.

On the rough wet grass of the back yard my father and mother have spread quilts.

We all lie there, my mother, my father, my uncle, my aunt, and I too am lying there. First we were sitting up, then one of us lay down, and then we all lay down, on our stomachs, or on our sides, or on our backs, and they have kept on talking.

They are not talking much, and the talk is quiet, of nothing in particular, of nothing at all in particular, of nothing at all. The stars are wide and alive, they seem each like a smile of great sweetness, and they seem very near.
 More insulin please!

Three pints of ice cream.

Butter pecan, my dad's fave. Pistachio and amazing salted caramel.
Ethan had a chance to bond with his niece Grace Catherine Deming. They walked down Cowbell searching for treasures.



As kids, we used to make bracelets with these clover flowers.

It's so important that we introduce children to the glories of nature. And Grace is indeed a fan! Their backyard could pass as a miniature arboretum.

Now it's Sunday. We began the day by visiting a recording studio in south Philly where Ethan might record an album. Bill Cosby had been there the day before. And the Rolling Stones were the first ones to record in that studio. Sarah pronounced it "beautiful."

It reminded me of when I appeared on Comcast Newsmakers, particularly the chilly temperature. When you're being taped, you certainly don't wanna shiver and have your eyelashes freeze.

After that we went with some friends to Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. We'd been there several times on Ada's Outings.

Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.
This is a beautiful tree, but not a lemon tree. My friend Marcy has em in her yard in California.
Helloooo Marcy! Miss you!
If only I could remember the name of this many-trunked tree.
The Fernery of Morris Arboretum. Don't you love kids with red hair? Part Viking, n'est-ce pas? New Directions, under the auspices of one Brenda Mower, used to volunteer at the Arboretum.

Morris has everything.... meadows, hills, and ponds with swans. Its original owners, siblings John and Lydia Morris, lived in a grand castle with views of the grounds. It was razed and a kinetic sculpture put there to mark its presence.

Who doesn't love a fountain!

 Ethan is listening to the sounds of nature through these whatchamacallits! They slide down so that people of any height, including kids, can hear the sounds of the forest.

We are up in the Treehouse now.
 Simulated robins' eggs, one of which is beginning to hatch.

A giant baby robin will likely appear.

Here's my own robin's nest complete with feathers. Got it from Scott's back yard after the family abandoned it and moved to a trailer park.

 Oak tree. Wonder how old it is.
An evergreen with branches kissing the ground. When Sarah taught at Kripalu Institute in Lenox, MA, she had her favorite trees. One of my best experiences was visiting her there, with my sister Donna.

 We three jogged downhill to smell the fabulous Mimosa Flowers on the Mimosa tree. "Evelyn," my former therapy client, had a mimosa tree in her front yard. I'd always bring a branch home with me and put it over my kitchen sink.
Holy cow! Can this be one of the geometric sculptures by Robinson Fredenthal? Yes, it was. I profiled him in Art Matters. Here's a blog post I wrote about him. He died in 2009 at age 69 of complications of Parkinson's disease.

Magnificent fountain. Look at the feet. Darn! This may be the true Fountain of Youth and I should've thrown myself inside.

Actually, I do leg exercises every morning so I was in no pain during our leisurely walk thru the Arboretum. On the way home, we passed Curtis Arboretum, where Sarah had been.

The long goodbyes......

 Have some delicious filtered cold water, Ethan!
 Sarah, I shall deeply miss you! She and Ethan helped me with the cover letter of the grant I'm working on plus the entire proposal. Is this taking advantage of them?
 What a fantastic couple!
I was wearing my new $7 shorts from Walmart. Bought four pair, making sure they had pockets.

Also, read Ethan my new poem. "I love your poems," he said. Wow! That surprised me.

He edited this one but I left it as is. (No wonder I get only a few poems published online.) 

I wrote the poem after driving home from watching fireworks in nearby Bryn Athyn. Pulled into a parking lot by the new Lemon Basil French Thai restaurant and sat in my car and enjoyed the boom boom booms and the flashing lights in the sky.

Driving home, bc I have cataracts and lights blinded me, I had a terrible time, plus I got lost. I wanted to convey those feelings in a poem, but made myself be on the Pennsy Turnpike.

Listen to the Adagio here.

Hey, I think I'll add the word Adagio to my most beautiful word list.

BARBER’S ADAGIO FOR STRINGS   

His Adagio for Strings
could have been playing
when I drove home on the
Turnpike in the night storm
Gripping the wheel
I seemed to be the only one
on the road
I could see no one
I could see nothing
but a spark of light
before me
like a match burning bright
then fading
death is surely coming
I thought as I wondered
how long I could bear
the terror and the monotony
of the nothingness ahead
of me.

So this is how I would
meet death – we always
wonder, don’t we?
Not this way. I’d wished for
a comfortable mattress
at home with a view of the
maple out back
and a squirrel waving goodbye.

Was this the tunnel they spoke of?
I checked to make sure my wipers
were on full force. There must be
a way to escape, I said, touching
my heart and saying, We will prevail.

The stars and the moon were
no where to be found, nor the dappled
trees and meadows that made way
for this now deadly road, with its
expectant exits and tollbooths,
its huge green signs prophesying
home, welcome home, you made it.
Or could this be the one time
I don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment