Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Deer Me - Working on Next Story for the Intell - Poem: Japanese Grandmother

You noticed, of course, my car was not in my drive all day. I'd driven it to REMS Automotive on nearby Davisville Road so they could fix my Left Rear Tire, which leaks.

When I got there, Barbara said Henry should be along soon to drive both me and Penny home. Get this! Penny used to own her own car repair shop, but sold it to the Lukoil, at the corner of York and Moreland.

She brings her customers to REMS and both she, I think, and the REMS boys work on it there. Unusual looking woman, she looked part hippie and part cowboy, wearing two pair of granny eyeglasses. Actually, I'd luv to be friends with her.

She lives on Fern Road. I told her I looked at a house on that street, which I really loved but something was amiss. It was only a 98 and I needed a 100.


Typical Fern Road house. Just realized the problem was it was too close to the neighbors. I felt like my kids n I would be sharing our kitchen and bedrooms with the next-door neighbors.

So I'm waiting and waiting for Henry Rems to appear. Meanwhile, Penny's in the garage talking with the fellow mechanics.

Barbara tries to dissuade me from walking home.

I go from the A/C waiting room, where she's eating her salted pretzels, out into the heat - it's early so it ain't too hot - and I got over to my car, reach inside and pull out my WHYY cup, half filled with water.

I pour the water over my head.

My decision is made and I walk quickly home, no problem at all. Then I sit and meditate for 20 minutes on the back porch.

Yesterday, Tim, my A/C man came out and fixed my thermostat so I could use the air, he stayed 10 minutes, and asked if I lost electricity. For an hour, I said, a couple days ago.

That's the problem he said and presented me with a bill for $105.

All day I worked on a Guest Column for the Intell on Suicide. I'd sent the editor a query letter. He didn't get back to me for several days - very unlike him - when he's outa town, he tells you - and then I thought, Good! I don't wanna write about it anyway.

Then of course he said Yes. So I wanted to finish it today since I had that best of all things: uninterrupted time.

Word limit is 700.

Went to my wooden file box, which I stole from Maryknoll Missioners in Ossining, NY, where I worked as secy to Father Meehan, and looked up the pho no for Tony Salvatore.

Hadn't talk to him in ages. He knew I wanted something. We told what we did over the fourth of July holiday and he asked how my kidney is doing.

He and his wife visited their son and grandkids up in Jersey. He also joked that he and his wife had their anniversity in the worst decision his wife had ever made. Tony's my age. 68 or 69.

I took notes on this thick paper I fished from the waste basket at Bux-Mont Stationers.

Someone called on the New Directions line and I spoke to him about half an hour about his mom. He had no idea I saw a female deer from my kitchen window, then took the camera outside and snapped the deer.

She's in the last row, in the middle.

Too far away, I thot, so I took an unusually successful close-up.

Look at this well-proportioned beauty!

I think I'll put it in my 'stock photos,' for future reference. The deer eat the mulberries and wine berries in the backyard. What's she eating here?

Sent the photo to Dan telling him to show it to Grace.

He wrote back, "When I showed it to her, she audibly gasped, "A deer!"

Finished this superb mystery today. I'd listen to the audio book when in the kitchen, where I spend a lot of time.

Tonite, tho, I simply lay down on my red couch and listened to the last CD.

Should I find him on FB and tell him I luved the book.

Answer: No!

Last nite at the library I saw an unforgettable sight. There was only one thing to do about it.

THE GRANDMOTHER

Japanese, the daughter waits for
old mother, staring down at laptop,
while the older woman chooses her books
in the serenity of the blue carpeted library.

Smiling, never speaking, mother
stabbing with each step her tall silver cane
like a shepherdess commanding her sheep, holds
daughter’s hand as the two of them
black-haired, stroll from the library, mother’s body
twisted, bent over double, like a survivor
from Hiroshima.

No comments:

Post a Comment