Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Singing Lessons! Our support group really helped a 29-yo man - Poem: Pearl Harbor Day - Where Were You? - TIME: Man of the Year

 My teacher is Caitlyn Kellegher.  View her website here

C'est moi! I had to learn to breathe thru my diaphragm.

I should be practicing until it becomes second nature.

Caitlyn established the range of notes I can sing.

She'd play a note on the piano and I'd match it with my voice.

It was different than anything I've ever done before. I surprised myself by being both nervous and enjoying it.

Told her I got a tiny headache while singing. 

Above I'm pretending to sing I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU.  Since she's gonna be 29 this month, she's unfamiliar with the version by the old Flamingos - the Flamin Joes - of Chicago. Listen here. 

You know what? While I love listening to Beethoven Brahms and Bartok, I think this doo-wop version is one of the greatest recordings I've ever heard.

When I left, I was in such a good mood I stopped by Willow Grove Therapy - hello Margaret Fitzpatrick - and walked inside.

There I spotted Anne, the therapist who helped me with my painful hip from wearing my boot.  I still do the exercises every morning.

That's b/c I have intense pain in my left leg upon awakening. Within an hour it's gone.

At New Directions last nite, we helped a 29-yo man whose been depressed about five years. Suggested he see a new psychiatrist - DUH! - and get into a daily routine.

Now lemme tell you something. We can make the greatest suggestions in the world - Ada, Harriet, Rem - but it's up to Zeke (fake name) to do it!

My goal for today was sending out Holiday Cards for the 14 or so folks I work with at Symphony Manor.

Made the acquaintance today of Jennifer Angelina Petra. View her blog here.

A transgender woman, she created a whole new name for herself.

I've known several people who did the same thing.

A man who hated his father changed his name. His dad was my son Dan's chess teacher at the Huntingdon Valley Library.

A woman who lived on my street changed her name, as did a therapist I knew.

What would YOU change your name to?

Okay, lemme think a sec.

Katy Robin Dinnerstein.

Image result for time man of the year

Trump made the worst appointment he possibly could for the EPA.

From Wiki   The United States Environmental Protection Agency is an agency of the Federal government of the United States which was created for the purpose of protecting human health and the environment by writing and enforcing regulations based on laws passed by Congress.[3] The EPA was proposed by President Richard Nixon and began operation on December 2, 1970, after Nixon signed an executive order.

NIXON created the post. 

Read about Scott Pruitt, the disastrous choice to head the EPA.

David Remnick, editor of the New Yorker, wrote An American Tragedy, about President Elect Trump. Read it here

Tomorrow when I rise, I'm gonna buy tix for the Beach Boys concert at the Keswick. A former neighbor of my sister Donna turned me onto the greatness of them and bade me read their book, which has since been disowned.

I Am Brian Wilson.jpg

WHERE WERE YOU?

75 years ago today
Pearl Harbor was
bombed, torpedoed.
We watched it on
the 6 o'clock news
while munching
Doritos and
marveling at the
accuracy of the
Japanese bombers
and submarines.

The future president
of one of the Toyota
subsidiaries was the
First Prisoner of War.

Hari kari was his goal
but his American captors,
who believe an embryo is
alive at conception,
and denounce euthanasia
treated him like dung.

Years later
Kazuo Sakamaki, strong
as ten thousand ships
was reunited with his
sunken boat.
He remembered and
wept. Pledged peace
from now on.

Nothing could replace
the nine dead men
who perished on his watch

Their families grieve still.

When Sakamaki died at 81,
he was a man who studied war
no more.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment