Saturday, May 15, 2010

The sun goes down in Bryn Athyn, PA







Five minutes from home is the world headquarters of one of the four branches of the Swedenborgian religion, based on the teachings of Swedish scientist and philosopher Emanuel Swedenborg (1688-1772). Manny did not himself start the religion which was based on visions he had over 25 years of Heaven and Hell. I once glimpsed shelves of his works in the basement of the old Swedenborgian library, bound in green leather. I had gone down there to take notes wanting to write a fictional biography of Mildred Pitcairn, wife of Raymond, the financial backer of the Bryn Athyn community.


Flowers amid the stone

Mildred bore Raymond 6 children, four of whom survived till adulthood. If I'm not mistaken, and I usually am, Mildred loved planting flowers in the cracks between the walls of the great cathedral. You'll find many pix of this building in this blog post.

Scott and I took his folks on a scenic drive after we ate a spectacular meal at Rossineri's which is gaining fame on Moreland Road. Shhh! Get there before 5 and you'll get the earlybird special. I peeked over at the check and it was over one hundred dollars. Scott has no credit cards. Doesn't believe in em. When we make big purchases he uses mine. I get dollars back with mine.

Is this what you wanted to do, Ruthie? Talk about money?

Go with the flow, babe.

Stream of consciousness.

Happy birthday Natalie!

Ruthie and Scott

My friend Helene is calling me back. I'm gonna read her an old poem. If she likes it, I'll blog it. See how insecure I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment