Saturday, October 8, 2022

Will THIS be the drug to stop or cure dementia? Daily Walk Around Block and more

 This message is sent to all Alzheimer's Association and Alzheimer's Impact Movement board members, all Alzheimer's Association staff, and volunteers and supporters of AIM and the Alzheimer's Association.

We have an exciting major development about the potential for a new treatment for Alzheimer’s disease, and we wanted to share the positive results with you as quickly as possible.

Tonight, initial clinical trial results were announced for a drug called lecanamab which was tested in individuals living with mild cognitive impairment (MCI) due to Alzheimer’s disease and mild Alzheimer’s dementia. Results from the clinical trial found that this treatment significantly reduces clinical decline from the disease.

These are the most encouraging results in clinical trials treating the underlying causes of Alzheimer’s to date. These results indicate lecanamab may give people more time at or near their full abilities to participate in daily life, remain independent and make future health care decisions.

We will know more at the end of November when the data behind these initial results will be public. We look forward to learning more at that time about participant safety and representation in the trials. It’s also important to manage our own expectations that this treatment is not yet Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved and is not yet available in doctors’ offices.

This is a major milestone for Alzheimer’s disease treatments. It is a significant gain for people with the disease and their families and it further positions us to advance our mission in new and exciting ways.

We have never been more hopeful, and we hope you share our excitement. Even with the success announced today, we must redouble efforts to discover new targets and test new and more effective treatments for Alzheimer’s and all other dementia.

.....

WHY DID I WEAR MY CLODHOPPER WINTER BOOTS as I walked around the block?

They are the only footwear that I can wear heavy socks on, socks which I sleep in for warmth.

I was very cold and wore a warm black n white jacket I bought years ago at Sweater Mill in Hatboro, PA. 

Met Bob Sanders and his dog Lulu on the walk. He had gotten home from work at 5 am, a very long day. 

Bob had given me a hat he found blowing around. I wore dat and have an idea about a story to write about it. 

POEM WARM SOCKS

Never underestimate the value of warm socks

or, for that matter, the discomfort they may cause

ever heard of uric acid? the next new thing that causes us grief

the crystals are clustered in the big toe

you know, the one that looks like a thumb, if you need a transplant

but without my socks - and I have blue ones and mint-green

I lie frozen as an orange popcycle in bed. 

- Ruth Z Deming

NOW, if you will excuse me, off I go to the new reading material I checked outa the libe yesterday. And, yes, I drove there with Scott beside me.

Joyce Carol Oates - Babysitter

Kent Haruf - Eventide

an enormous book about birds - and, yes, how we love birds - hear em chirping outside? 

and I can still whistle, but shall keep quiet on account of sister Ellie-Belle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment