Thursday, October 10, 2019

Poem for Trees Lopped Down - Willow Tree Service - 90 minutes and two trees are cut down - and everything is cleaned up

Willow Tree Service is on S Warminster Road across from Stutz Candy Kitchen. The kids and I - Sarah and Dan - lived in Village Green Apartments - H-6 - at the time.

I wrote dozens of newspaper articles since I worked for the Public Spirit, as well as Intelligencer - Record.

Everything contiguous to me I wrote about.

Hapgood Nursery was in the same place where Willow Tree Service is now.

On a freezing cold day Mr Hapgood woke up very cold.

He checked his indoor tree farm and everything was dead. Black. Insurance couldn't cover everything so he sold out to what would eventually be Willow Tree Service and he and his wife moved.

Scott wasted no time and had his dead white dogwood cut down and his giant spruce tree. The guys were to come tomro but they finished up a job early so came today.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw them pull up. I was trying to find something good on Netflix.

My goal with the tree folk was to have them put two stumps by the birdbath - you can't see them and I took the pix - they are very comfy - and to have Matt from Chester PA to put wood chips by the outside of the laundry room.

I would cover over the Budd Lite aluminum can from the late alcoholic Bill Sanders. Maybe in 100 years someone will find it and wonder, What IS this?




 Farewell lovely white dogwood. I would bring the branches in the house and display them in my front window sill.
 Enormous spruce tree. Dead with bird nests dwelling there. When the birds felt the first cut they swooped out of the tree.

 George with the red car wasn't home when the men came but they were so careful.

 Oh, I said to myself, he's in a cherry picker.

 Sweet-smelling Japonica tree below. Look at the wealth of wood chips below.
 They're also trimming the mulberry tree.
 Total price is $950.
Matt from Chester PA.

*
A FORMAL FEELING COMES AFTER
TWO REGAL TREES ARE LOPPED DOWN

(Thanks to Emily Dickinson for the term
"formal feeling")

Forty years perhaps grew the spruce
Blue needles proclaimed
Sky high!
Sky high!
And so she did

Seasons came and went
Her inner voice softened
speaking now in a whisper
"the inner me is cracking
feeble as a woman walking
with a cane"

What ingredients sprung from
those trees! Sweet-smelling sap
better than bacon or cherry pie

Stumps to use as chairs like back
in Grandma's day when we sat on the
front porch, the whole neighborhood
ours to look after.

"Oh, don't fret," said Nonna Eileen
"I hear they're planting new trees,
A peach tree this time where doves
stay away and a Chinese dogwood with
purty pink flowers, perfect for
the window sill."

Sit still and contemplate.
Won't be long now.
Cherish the half moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment