Saturday, October 12, 2019

Angie the Homeless Woman

Walked out the front door and the sweet smells of sap, where Scott's treecutters had taken down three trees, one a huge fir tree on his front lawn, confronted me.

A sign for Sam Valenza, running for re-election for township commissioner, was on my lawn, with my permission.

Drove over to Giant. I always go in the back way, where the PeaPod trucks are (home delivery).

A very heavy woman put up her hand to stop me.

Later I told this story to Matt, my physical therapist, who is helping me with my balance and bad left arm from strapping myself into my seat.

I put on my flashers, asked the woman what was wrong, and told her I'd return.

Well, of course the person I mentioned it to, said he'd tell his boss, which made no difference.

I did my own shopping, desperately needed salad greens, which I just had for breakfast, atop of which was scrambled eggs, mushrooms, and onions.

Then I told Angie, which I learned was the woman's name, that I'd take her shopping and she could buy what she needed.

Where dyou live? I asked.

In a group home, she answered. No, she didn't know how many people lived with her.

She had no energy, she said, and needed some caffeinated soda.

I bought her two-six packs of something, can't remember now.

She had a terrible headache so needed Tylenol.

We'll get the generic brand, I suggested.

She selected a huge white bottle that looked like it would drill a hole in your stomach.

BTW, I'm drinking the last of Coach Iris's Pumpkin Spice Coffee, still delicious after THREE years.

Altho Angie didn't have a list, she knew exactly what she wanted.

When we walked in the store, Halloween candy was spread out. She quickly grabbed a bag of Snickers and other chocolates.

They're two for one, she said.

I was furious and felt like smacking her.

Apple cider. I put two half gallon jugs in her cart.

Spice cookies - ya want these? They were Ivins spice cookies.

Can I have two? she asked.

No, I said.

Everything she saw, she wanted two of them.

I probly mumbled something about being grateful...

She needed a pound of ground coffee.

Look, I said, How's this? It was pumpkin spice.

We walked on, me in my blue hair, and Angie in what looked to be bedroom slippers.

When I decided to buy her groceries she assured me she wasn't no drug addict.

She had some sort of white foam oozing from the corners of her mouth and I told her to wipe them.

We checked out. Total bill was $60.

She asked me if she could sit down - she probly weighed 350 lbs - and if she could start drinking her soda.

No, you can't, I said. You should learn restraint and utilize will power.

Earlier I had met the asst store manager, introduced him to Angie, who was homeless, and asked if he would pay for a cab for her group home.

No problem, he said, and DID.

She had wanted me to drive her home, but as the Old Testament says, "Thus far and no further."




No comments:

Post a Comment