Sunday, November 11, 2018

My life just changed with my announcement we'll do another Compass - Poem about Nancy -

The Times had a magnficent essay with film clips about Freddie Mercury at the LIVE AIDS CONCERT back in 1985.

Watch it on YouTube here.

I was so energized by his 26 minute performance, I decided to announce we're gonna do anudder Compass magazine. At first I thought it would just be online, but that's no fun. You need to hold it in your hands like a book and turn the pages.

B/c November 11 is the 100th anniversary of the Armistice of World War II, loads of war films are shown on TV.

I watched Bridge Over the River Quai - can you hear me whistling the famous tune? - and William Holden was ready to go home since he'd finished his tour of duty BUT he was bamboozled into blowing up the RR bridge in Burma.

Image result for blowing up bridge of river kwaiAlec Guinness gave a superb performance of a captured British officer who is helping the Japanese win the war. That's called a traitor, but he is so dedicated to his mission, he has no idea.

In the car I'm listening to THE HOBBIT.  I have no idea what it's about, yet I keep listening and listening. They just sang their second song, well done, for sure, but what the hell is it all about, Alfie?

Should I "wiki" it to find what it's about?

Watched THE GUNS OF NAVARONE with Gregory Peck.

Imagine me lying there next to Scott and watching film after film.

He slept thru every one. Weekends are his time to catch up.

Also began watching THE LONGEST DAY with an all-star cast starring John Wayne. Went home after an hour. Very cleverly done with little snippets of conversation between different groups of Americans.

And now I've just biked 25 minutes while watching MAGNUM P I

Scott opined that women wanna see sexy Tom Selleck so that's why he wears shorts and shows his manly hair. Funny how women are attracted to hair in a guy - I am! - but a woman with orangutan like hairy arms is a turn off.

Image result for tom selleck

He turned 73 in January of this year. I'll be the same age on December 25. Wonder if he's still in BLUE BLOODS.

Here's a few poems, but first I wanna share wid ya what I'll be reading in bed tonight. New sked for Pennypack Trust, Hagy's one-day trips (can't go on any as I cain't drive to Sellersville to catch the bus) and a library book about female artsts like

Helen Frankenthaler-1956.jpg

Helen Frankenthaler (1928 - 2011)

Holy Cow! She was married and divorced to Robert Motherwell.

***
WE ALL HAVE FRIENDS NAMED NANCY
I SAID TO JANICE FROM VERIZON

Nancy, they've been trying to
fix my long distance dialing
for more than a month now.

That's why I haven't called you,
Nancy, in my childhood home of Ohio.

Nancy from across the street
needs no phone call. I just
run up her huge hill,
dodging the dog poop
and ring the bell.
Bark! Bark! Bark!

There was a Nancy from Shaker
a lovely wide girl whose dad
drove us to the three-ring
circus downtown.

How we craned our necks
to watch the high-wire walkers
as the elephants marched in
smelling of, well, elephants.

A single elephant foot could crush us all
Nancys or No Nancys, like many
of us, already dead.

***

DRIVING TO OUR WRITING GROUP

I wrote something good
yes, very good, the words
flowed out like coffee
from a pitcher.

Why, then, was there only
one copy in my bag?
Printer jammed!
Printer jammed!

A worse obstacle I faced
when I got on the main road
my car shimmied and danced!

Sidled from side to side
as if I were at a country
and western dance

Titanic winds assailed
my car as if it were
nothing more than a
piece of Kleenex

Relax, I said. Relax.
Either you'll get there
in one piece
or you'll be buried
in a plain pine box.

***

SHOPPING LIST OF ANOTHER IN VERY NEAT HANDWRITING OR IS IT HANDWRINGING

tape
creamer
lactose free milk
dinner
baby dinners & fruit


Her stationery was ringed with watermelon.



No comments:

Post a Comment