Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Magic Show at the Upper Moreland Library - Oven is fixed! - Poem: What's that man doing down a hole?

Image result for photo of many keys

Keeper of the Keys. Wrote this true story several years ago. Click here.

Tonight at the Upper Moreland Library was a Magic Show at 7 pm.

Read this story about Dick Gustafson and wife Joanne.

Ah, to be as productive as they are at EIGHTY-FIVE years old.

Here's his website.

I invited Eileen next door to go with me. I successfully drove in the pitch dark night, wearing my driving glasses.

Dick was a riot!

When he called for volunteers from the audience he said, Don't go turning your head to avoid me. I'm gonna call on you anyway.

He did call on me to look into a deck of cards, a quick peak, and remember the card I saw. The card arrived in a green bucket, from which we plucked the card.

King of Spades.


Wonder who designed playing cards? The Answer Man says... Click here.

Dick kept saying Find everything you wanna know in the public library!

The audience was laffing and applauding. Eileen enjoyed it immensely.

***
Finally decided to get my oven fixed, IF, that is, it can be fixed.

Teddy from Dave's Appliance was here and repaired it in about an hour an a half. Didn't need any parts. A bunch of pipes were clogged up and he thoroughly cleaned them with rags and dishwashing detergent.

Cost about $221.

Teddy remembered me from fixing my fridge. He's got five kids and lives in Hatboro.

My oven is an old fashioned Caloric which they don't make any more.

Then I wanted to bake something in the oven. My first thought was Davey Ire Pancakes my friend Helene used to make when I'd visit.



Following a recipe, adding ingredients, measuring, and using sugar was positively frightening for me to do. Swear to God!

***

Was helping a family find another psychiatrist as Dr Robert Desmond of Lansdale had a stroke and lost many of his cognitive abilities.

How tragic!

He was on our Top Doc List.

***
Wonderful show on PBS


Description: Discover the cosmological 
secrets behind America's ancient cities.
 Scientists explore some of the world's largest pyramids and 3D-scan a lost city of 
monumental mounds on the Mississippi River; native elders reveal ancient powers of the 
sky.

Followed by native Americans parading in their ancient clothing. Both surreal and magical to see them.

It was a weeper.

Over and out for today. I did send out an email alert which goes something like this, ladies and gentlemen:

Hi everyone,

Thanks to Nancy for these suggestions.

The Benefits of attending group when you are well.

Many individuals only come once, when they're depressed and rarely show up again.

The group is too depressing, they say.

We're trying to remedy this.

Would more guest speakers help? We're in the process of scheduling someone to do mindfulness and yoga.

Attending when you're well will help you stay well and you'll help others stay well.

Alcoholic Anonymous promotes this.

If you're 'slipping,' you can ask for help. Call us! Many folks have frequent or daily phone calls to lift the spirits of others.

As a subscriber to the NY Times, I don't read news that will bring me down. Same with watching films on YouTube or Netflix.

Like it or not, these penetrate our psyches and we may review them over and over again.

No matter how bad you feel, challenge yourself to do something fun.

Of course, don't go overboard on these.

Suggestions include buying something online or in person. Marshall's has great clothes at reduced prices.

Caffeine, as we know elevates our mood, tho if you drink too much you'll feel bad.

Visit Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts and order coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. Chat with the Barista (coffee-seller). I also like Starbucks' chocolate croissant, not surprising for a diabetic with a sweet tooth.

In these dreary days, keep the lights on in your home. Use a light box if you wish. Check with your psychiatrist to see if this is a good idea and go online to find the best one.

Play rousing music to lift your mood.

WHAT'S THAT MAN DOING DOWN A HOLE

They're here in front of my house
every single day. A dozen or more
no matter what the weather. Fixing
the sewer mains, in their coordinated
clothing - yellow hard hats, orange
safety vests. Do they buy them at
Marshall's or Target?

Friendly young fellows talking
their man talk. They just helped
my electrician get through.
Go now, while you've got the chance
they said to Teddy.

It's a wonderful world when you've
got a job, friends from work,
and a reason to get out of
bed in the morning.

AND DON'T FORGET TO SEND IN YOUR IDEAS FOR OUR COMPASS.

FEEL FREE to email me at RuthDeming at Comcast.net with any suggestions you have about this email or anything else.
               
***
I am wearing my new $14 pair of PJs I bought at Walmart. They are warm and soft as silk.

Will poetate about em the morrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment