Thursday, November 22, 2018

Happy Thanksgiving! Poem for Thanksgiving - Hello Mr Turtle - Shoes

Perhaps a month ago, the gas company came out and turned off my oven.

Gas was escaping. I may be a poet, but I'm not Sylvia Plath.

Dave's Appliance came out and fixed my oven.

I was terrified to use it. Honestly. What would I bake?


Made a whole wheat challah this morning. This is a photo of a previous one.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

In my green file cabinet
I have a much-folded drawing
of the Pilgrims and rapacious
white men celebrating
Thanksgiving.

Today, November 22, 2018,
the day John F Kennedy was shot,
we celebrate once again on this
chill but sunny day here in PA.

So much to be thankful for!
Gramma Bernice, her sense of
humor intact, gently cared for by
Sister Ellen, is still Matriarch
of our ever-growing family,
hello young David and Kaia Rose
added to our Family Tree,
the Tree of Life!

What a family we have!
Irish fleeing the potato famine,
Ecuadoreans searching for educational
opportunities
Hungarian Jews needing succor
from the pogroms

Free! Many of us arrived through
Ellis Island. Our names were often
changed. We're survivors, though
we remember our beloved David Richard Greenwold,
lover of striped shirts and his ever-
present camera. And the man I can never
call Dad again.

Educators, boxers, computer experts,
therapists, coffee drinkers, vegetarians,
believers and nonbelivers, what a tasty
stew we all make.

My wish for all of you is a Happy Thanksgiving
full of joy and surcease from sorrow, just this
one day. And why not perform a random act of kindness?

Amen!

***
I ordered a new Casio Electric Keyboard from DeLuca's Music in Hatboro, PA.

$140.

Bruce couldn't find my house in the dark.

He was at the Willow Grove Giant.

With immense difficulty, I guided him to my house, beaming with lights so he could find me.

He was trying to see what I looked like when he came inside.


Minus the gator.

He was going to Doylestown to rehearse with his music partner, a hairdresser, for a gig today.



Scott took the old one home with him.

I was so excited to see him this morning. We must love one another, huh? Twelve years we've been going together.

I brewed Dunkin Donuts Coffee this morning.

It's best STEAMING HOT !

Scott and I attended Pennypack Trust the other night to hear a lecture on turtles.

They've been on earth for 250 million years.

Many people see them lumbering across the road or a path and think they're lost. They pick them up and return them to where they think they belong.


HELLO MR TURTLE

Skippy was the turtle I owned
when I was a child of 8. Oh,
how I loved that peculiar creature.

I'd pick him up and watch him
wiggle his legs, turn him over
like a doctor might, and examine
the tiny "bricks" on his back.

One day Skippy was dead. I buried
him in the backyard on Glenmore Road.

When Sarah was home she rescued a turtle
at Pennypack Trust, caught in a fisherman's
net.

Our turtle legacy continues.
Lovely shell of abstract art
Legs like Busby Berkeley dancers
A tail like an upraised lab retriever.

Live on, our Darlings, live on
despite what we're doing to
our Planet.

***

When I made the challah, I listened to Gregg Whiteside on WRTI-FM, the classical music station. When the horrible news came on, I shut it off, and turned on my audio book

RED MOON RISING by Matthew Bryzinski.



Highlights include General Dwight D Eisenhower's difficult decision to run for a second term as president. I LIKE IKE, was his slogan. He was in delicate health, with a heart condition - imagine! He led the USA to victory in World War Two!

Khrushev was the one to tell his country that Stalin had done terrible things during his reign of terror. Nikita was always embarrassed by his lack of formal education. Even Stalin had gone to seminary.

When I first woke up this morning and it was getting light, I went outside in my Starbucks apron - thank you sister Donna - and held my cup of Dunkin Donuts Coffee - and yelled:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE.



Wanted to wear a pair of new shoes to the dinner.

Instead I returned em to Nordstrum, orig in Seattle.

When I visited Cousin Mark Greenwold and soon/divorced wife Barbara in Seattle, I saw that everyone wore b'ful shoes. He treated that woman MEAN.


NEW SHOES

Coach, a name brand.
Searched all over town for you
till I found you at the Willow
Grove mall. How the mall's
changed with time.

Before Coach, I bought some shoes
that pinched, no, squeezed
so I brought them back
to Famous Footware.

Finally at Nordstrum's Rack
at the mall I ducked into
the shoe aisle in my usual
open-toe sandals with
thick navy socks
and got to work.

On with this,
off with that,
now for the next aisle.
What's this? Silver shoes?

Slipped them on, for
the Duke in the Cinderella
tale. "They fit! They fit!"
I screamed, as I walked down
the carpet like a princess.

I brought them home, and watched
them widen and shut like
a baleen whale sucking krill.

Aghast, I watched again and again.
The prince will never marry me now,
I wept, and put them back in the
Nordstrum bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment