Saturday, June 21, 2014

Coffeeshop Writers' Group - The Return of Martha and Beatriz! - Poems: The Rabbit - Diabetes - Haiku: Inner World, Outer World

Did lots of writing this morning. Was surprised to receive an email from "Susan" who owns her own wellness center. She wrote a well-tempered rant on the closing of Creekwood Mental Health Center, as reported yesterday in the Inquirer. Suggesting I write a Letter to the Editor, I thought, Mon dieu! How will I know what to say?

Then I came downstairs for breakfast - leftover Caesar salad from The Willow Inn, where Scott and I ate last night.

Suddenly the words came to me: legendary incompetence, which I wrote down, and then enjoyed my delicious salad, with a mushroom/onion omelet.

Good, I thought. I'll write the Letter first so I can procrastinate on fixing up my short story Leaving Alma, which I was determined to save from its terrible disorganization. I mean, it was just awful.

  Part of the story takes place in Bonita Springs, FL, where my sister Lynn lives. Yesterday I called up the chamber to ask a few questions which I used in the story.

Read the story and Letter to my wonderful friend Freda Samuels, who tops the scales at 88.

She approved both the Letter to the Editor and Leaving Alma.

Was so proud of myself I went down into the kitchen to pour another cup of Peach Tea and stumbled over my


And watched a woman with insulin-dependent diabetes take FOUR sticks out and, going outside to enjoy them, crunched on them while looking at her flower-filled garden.

The white dahlia are doing great!

Without wasting a second, I was upstairs riding my stationery bike for 20 minutes. Paula Marantz Cohen, prof of English lit at Drexel, was doing an embarrassingly bad interview with one Nile Rodgers, who'd written a memoir.

I wrote down the name - Le Freak - and reserved it at my library.



This beautiful man is 61 already.

He used the term, "I'm a Participant" and I also wrote that down thinking it a good theme for a poem.

Even though Beatriz was weak from chemo, she did join us today. Her feedback is so spot-on as was her piece In Praise of The Wasp.

In fact, when I saw Mom after our group, I told her and Ellen about some tiny wasp friends of Beatriz. One of em lays their eggs in the seeds of growing figs - and there they grow. And, yes, we end up eating them and knowing nothing.

Another wasp lays its eggs inside the eggs of my mortal enemy - the stink bug - thus helping to control the stink bug population.

Double-Yuck!


Martha, on the left, wearing her homemade Lilac blouse, read a great poem Recovery.

A polite disagreement ensued about the ending. Of course, I argued, you thank God and are grateful that you recovered. You needn't say it.

Say something else that tells us about yourself, so we learn more about you.

Marf agreed.

In September, Marf's household will diminish by three people - no more Brianna, her granddaughter - they're all moving out.

How will you stand the silence, I asked her.

She said it'll be terrible but she'll figure it out.

After all, I did! I'm sitting here downstairs on my red couch, screen door open, so I can be part of the outdoors.

Photos above courtesy of Marf's Samsung Tablet.

Colorful Carly in Pink read an essay about being a writer. Talk about new information! When she and Charlie lived in California, he opened her mail - thank goodness it wasn't from a non-existent lover, which happens more frequently than you think - and said No Thank-you to an offer for her to take writing classes.

He only mentioned this to her last week.

Imagine!

We loved the essay but suggested she cut it by at least 75 words, which you're hoping I'll do on this blog, right?

I read the below poem to Erich the pharmacist at The Giant, when I picked up my insulin test strips.



Told him, "I ate four fucking pretzels this morning."

And then of course went on my bike.  He told me I was one of the few people who does well by my diabetes. One guy, he said, only tests his sugar twice a week, if that.

I test six times a day.




IS IT BAD FOR A PERSON WITH DIABETES TO THINK ABOUT FOOD WHILE FALLING ASLEEP?

Despite its beautiful name
Diabetes is the devil
Like a tick, once its claws
suck your mortal flesh,
diabetes has found its
new home.

Lovers cry, “Never leave me!”
Diabetes sneers, “I won’t.”
Let me name the ways
it harms you, as it chews up
every organ, with slow
toxins worse than
a rattlesnake bite.

It creeps into the
souls of your eyeballs
making you blind
It visits the tiniest traces
of arteries and veins
clogs them so that
pain like red-hot fire
scalds the bottom of your feet

Sadist,
its finest pleasure comes
from inflicting bullet wounds
to the brain
Pshew!
See the person over there
in the corner of the nursing home
That’s her, Ruth Z. Deming,
lost her mind
see her pumping her legs?
she’s riding her bicycle
back in Cleveland
her hair’s not white
but brown and she’s outwitted
the villain Diabetes
eating all the things she’s dreamed of
before bed
except for the New York cheesecake
but the banana pudding sure tastes good.
 




THE RABBIT

Fearless
he hopped
on my backyard deck
as I sat eating my salad
turning over the dressing-
soaked romaine
and cucumbers.

He watched me
sideways,
long ears
radiating like antennae
for more information
Who is this woman who
dares to eat my favorite things?

With a quick jump
he turned to face me
head leaning forward
brown eyes, so like my own,
fastened for the longest time
on the deepest part of my soul.

What is it you want?
I whispered.
We are not friends and
never can be. You eat
my peppers and my basil,
my tomatoes and eggplant.
Like a cruel master
on a cotton plantation,
I go inside
slamming the door
and finish my salad
at the kitchen table
without the rabbit’s
manlike, taunting gaze. 

   It took much thought and pondering to get the syllables right in the first Haiku I've ever written. Group pointed out my syllables were off.
  

Format 5 7 5 syllables for a haiku.

INNER AND OUTER WORLD


Deep into my mind
Writing. When the poem’s done
Raindrops pound outside.


And now, if you'll excuse me, Scott is calling me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment