Thursday, June 5, 2014

Cheap Flowers! Get your Cheap Flowers here! - Good kidney report


And so I did!

Produce Junction in Hatboro.

I had a two-day planting frenzy.

Scott n I drove to Russell Gardens in Churchville, PA. "Stopped into a church and began to pray...."


I like Russell Gardens b/c of their unusual variety of plants n shrubs.  I must tell you, however, that every single perennial I bought from them last year did not come back. The Einstein factor is at work here but I'm not listening.

Here's a delphinium. We have absy no idea how to spell it but look it up on the Internet.

I wanna attract more butterflies so I chose it, plus you don't find too many blue flowers. 

Forgot to take a photo of the two milkweed plants we bought to attract monarchs.


My new gardener, Manuel, accidentally dug up the two I planted. Adios Amigo!

You're probly wondering why I'm chugging down so much water.

Yes! Pizza nite. It was esp delicious. The crust tasted like butter!

Okay, Ruthie, stay on topic. Flowers it is!

 Our peaches are doing very well. Help! I can't get my fingers out of here.
Coreopsis.

When I garden I wear garden gloves as I'm deathly afraid of the microbes in the soil. They can infect my transplanted kidney.

As soon as I finish gardening, I throw all my clothes - and myself - in the washing machine to get out all the dirt.

Speaking of which, I got a good report at Kidney Klink. I asked Dr Ghantous if I could expect a normal lifespan and he said, Yes, b/c you take good c/o yourself, tho you are only three. (That's a line from an AA Milne poem.)

  There's only one pic of Dr G on the Internet. He was wearing a really swift khaki outfit - jacket and pants.

"It's dress-day down," he said with a laff.

We usually talk kidneys 40 percent of the time - .8 creatinine level - BKU virus diminishing - and then exchange vital information, such as what's your favorite snack.

For Dr G it's carrots.

Carrots! I fairly shouted. You eat that for a snack? How dyou prepare it?

I peel it and I eat it, he said.

Then we jumped to a far more important topic: fave restaurants.

I told him Scott n I celebrated our eighth anniversary at Mount Fuji's in Tokyo, I mean in Southampton. Victor had never been there and I highly recommended it.

I told him that while I'm mostly vegetarian I ordered filet mignon and shrimp and lobster tails at Fuji. . That filet was scrumptious! Please, don't make me feel guilty.

He likes Moonstruck in Fox Chase, which I've been to once. Scott n I will definitely return there since Italian is his fave cuisine.

This trellised mandevillia stands guard at the bird bath.

 On Saturday, New Directions is hosting a poetry reading and "open mic" at the Willow Grove Giant, my second home. I contacted the Intelligencer so they could print it in their Events Column.

They need a month's notice.

So I quickly emailed Alan Kerr, editorial page editor, asking if he could help me.

"Make it a Letter to the Editor," he wrote. "But hurry!"

Oh no! I couldn't do my usual procrustean procrastinations.You know, boiling of tea, eating of trail mix, reading the Times for 10 minutes.

Instead, I went straight to my upstairs computer and in 20 minutes came up with the letter, which you can read here. 



ADeathintheFamily1stEd.png
Record turnout in our Monthly Book Group at the Upper Moreland Library. I finished the book this morning. It was a masterpiece I had never before read.

The author's name is pronounced A-Ghee.  In other words, "G" as in "Granma" who was one of the great characters in the book, age 103 or 4.

Agee was only 45 when he died of a heart attack.

James Agee 1937.jpg 

Death in the Family was published posthumously and won a Pulitzer. It was based on his early life when his beloved father - Jay, in the book - died in an automobile accident.

Mildred did not like the book. Too sad, she said.

Sheila, mother of a Buddhist monk, didn't like it either. Too boring.

She did like the 'poetry' at the start of the book - Knoxville, Summer of 1915 - which I told her has been set to music by Samuel Barber. Just sent her an email, with the heading: Sheila, are you the Sheila in our writing group.

Turn up your speakers!

Watched the Disney animated film FROZEN today. Had checked it outa the library.

Called to talk to my four-year-old granddaughter Grace but no one answered the phone.

Was gonna ask her, "Which one is the queen: Anna or Elsa?"



At our Willow Writers' Group last nite at the library I got feedback on my newest CNF - creative nonfiction - He Died in the River - about a friend of mine.

In the Agee book, the dead father visits the family after he's dead. He visits everyone's room. Mary, in our group, said her sister was visited by her husband, a pilot, after he was killed in either a plane crash or a car crash, can't remember.

So, it's upstairs for me, to work on He Died in the River. BTW, after I wrote my first draft of the story, Eddie came to me in a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment