Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Yes yes Verizon! - No no Republican Candidates - Give me movies to forget about the sorry state of our country



Last nite, I had a difficult time. I did three things simultaneously, all in my bedroom. My blood sugar was really high, so I watched a terrific Rifleman while biking, and brot my blood sugar down 40 points.

Also watched the Republican debates on my laptop which rested atop my pillow. Charles Blow of the Times has a great editorial about the hypocrisy, elitism, racism, and total lack of compassion in the candidates.

I was riveted to the screen, thinking, "These people are Americans?"

Was also watching the White House celebration of Martin Luther King day. Roll the photos, Ruthie!





Was also working on Chapter 12 of my kidney memoir. Emailed it to my boss this morning (Sarah) who wrote back, "Wow, this is fabulous, Mom."

Believe it or not, I'm on the phone now w/a recorded announcement from Verizon. Joe came out this morning and fixed both my phones, while rendering next-door boyfriend Scott's phone out-of-order.

"They're incompetent!" Scott shouted when I visited him.

Verizon is coming out tomro b/c I've had so many "issues" and they're installing new phone lines for Scott and me, for free.

Verizon has a lot of money, explained Jeff, my Verizon "consultant," when he explained the situation to me.

I only pretended to understand what they're gonna do.

Joe found one squirrel living in the cable box. He removed it, so the squirrel must find a new home.

Hey! What's that scratching I hear on my chimley?

While stepping outside to pick up my Whig at Faith and Hope Boutique, I saw the most amazing sight.

The Fox was nonchalantly crossing Cowbell Road. He didn't have a care in the world. Beautiful posture. Very unlike a dog.

I used to read my kids a book called "The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night" by Peter Spier. Here are the names I goggled before I remembered Spier:

Peter Spickel, Peter Piers, Peter Spier.

Spier, born in 1927 in Holland, is half-Jewish. He was in a concentration camp in what is now the Czech Republic.

Most of the info on my blog is gotten from Wikipedia. They're having a blackout on Wednesday, Jan. 17, tomorrow, to protest a vote our US Congress will take that affects the future of the Internet for us free Americans.

Frankly, I don't know what it's about. I'm waiting for Wiki to tell us. Story from the Times.

"Diabetes Still Life."

Sunday's chili was so good, I made another batch this morning. In addition to dried kidney beans, I used some old chick peas I had in the cupboard, left over from when I was on my kidney-healthy diet.

Visited Mom and Ellen this morning. Mom applauded my use of chick peas, telling me they're very healthy. Wish Mom were healthy. She told me her three major complaints which are certainly whoppers.

Great article in the Times about the last film George Lukas - of Star Wars' fame - will make before he retires to making his own kind of films, personal films, not slated to make tons of money. His last film is called "Red Tails" and is about the Tuskegee Airmen, classic underdog heroes who despite despicable treatment from their own country, performed courageously under fire during WW2, giving their lives for their country.

Is it my imagination or are more people escaping into watching movies? The front page of The Times is frequently filled w/movie news.

While biking - yet again - this time at Scott's house - my sugar was 180 but went down to 80 - I watched American Masterpiece on PBS - a multi-part series on Warner Brothers Film.

Scott was in the kitchen eating lunch. He had just "lifted" in the basement, preserving those big muscles that look so neat. I always tell him to wear a short-sleeve shirt so people can see them but "vanity, thy name is not Scott."

Write that down, Scott, I said about the following films, and we'll get em at the library.

The Color Purple - Spielberg steps out of his familiar future genres
The Unforgiven - Clint Eastwood
Three Kings - violent George Clooney movie about Iraq

Oops, that's Fra Angelico's Three Kings.



I know you'll miss me when I'm gone, but gotta get ready for our New Directions meeting. Must put the guest speaker's flowers in the car.

2 comments:

  1. Chapter 12 - you are moving along!

    And yes, the Republican debate and everything about their campaign is... horrible. In the US in the year 2012?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't watch enough movies. I'm glad you do. One day, I will have to see a Rifleman rerun. Sure liked it when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete