Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Down Jenkintown Way

Look, Ma! No snow.

Every couple of weeks I go to Quest Diagnostics (extreme left) to get lab tests for my new kidney.

Met a woman in the waiting room who asked me how I was doing. Fine, I said, I come to get tested after my kidney transplant.

Her sister, she said, has refused to go on dialysis.

I told her I understood, it really does a number on you. But, I cautioned, she should be on a kidney-healthy diet. I wrote down my name and phone no. and told her to call me.

Took a scenic stroll before I left for home. Am hardly up Jenkintown way, so, camera in hand, I walked up York Road.

This, my friends, is the old Strawbridge & Clothier Company. Look at its great art-deco lines and that little rotunda on the left.

Detail of rotunda. Am wondering if it used to be a restaurant. Let's do a little Internet research. It's been designated a Historic Landmark, which is why Outback Steakhouse and Morgan Stanley, among other companies, now reside there. It cannot be knocked down, we hope.

Designed by Herbert B Beidler, it's known as "the 1930s brand of modernism." Beidler had also designed The Bond Clothing Store in Cleveland which I definitely remember as I grew up there.

Stopped in at a lovely jewelry store - Beifeld Jewelry - where I was buzzed inside. Needed a new battery for the $21 watch I bought at Rite-Aid.

Next stop Dunkin Donuts for some delicious decaf.

Mmmm, the empty cup smells delicious. I wonder if I drink some hot water and sniff the cup if my brain will be fooled into thinking I'm drinking decaf.

Back in Cleveland, on the Mr Wizard show, he had a couple of kids on, one of whom was eating a slice of raw potato, thother holding an apple slice under the potato-eater's nose. Sure enuf, he thot he was eating an apple.

Please, Ruthie, no need to do research on Mr Wizard. Just get on w/the show.

This morning's prep for the cream of broccoli zoup.

Blend smoothly in my Oster Blender, age 37 years old. Bought it in TX for baby Sarah. Made all her baby food in there. And, yes, it still works beautifully.

Soup fini, with grated cheese and parsley.

The cheese grater is the best there is. It's probly 30 years old. Sarah made a beautiful still-life when she went to Abington Friends. Who the heck was her art teacher? Mine, at Byron Jr High in Shaker, was none other than Cinderella Paradiso!!! Wonderful wonderful teacher.

We love our teachers! They need better pay. It's probably the number one most important job in the world. Right, Nikki, Nicole, Roberto and other teacher friends of mine.

Hard to see, but there's a Susi garlic press, my wooden recipe box and a wooden spoon.

See you around.

No comments:

Post a Comment