Thursday, January 12, 2012

Guest column published: Become an Organ Donor

Read it first, read it here.

I'm so self-conscious about my hair falling out from my antirejection med Prograf that I got it professionally styled for the photo in the Intell.

My neighbor Nancy cut it out for me. Just visited her and her nonstop barking dog Kailie. It's a beautiful misty night. Mist. That's low cloud cover, right Simon? Oops, I forgot you're dead.

Ran our support group meeting at the Giant this morning cuz Helen is outa town. Nine people. We did great work. People don't even call us. They read about us on the Net and just show up.

"Hi, my name is Ruth," I said to the group, "and I'll be your discussion leader today."

I didn't know anyone who was there!

Now, I think I'm a very effective leader. I get as much info as I can about the person and scribble it on my pad of the day. In today's case, From the desk of Philip M. McInerney, a 'second' from one of my printers. I changed the name cuz I don't want my printer to get in trouble.

So the group is going on, people are filtering in - don't you hate when people come late? - one newcomer had a good excuse, he couldn't find the place - and then suddenly this new woman Diane says, "Wait a minute, you're not Ruth DEMING are you?"

"Yes," I said. "You should be able to tell if I'm a good discussion leader w/o knowing that I run New Directions."

Reminds me of a story the late guitarist Les Paul told about meeting then-unknown Jimi Hendrix. He knew the guy was akin to genius. You don't need a big name to know if someone's any good. Use your own powers of discernment. Trust yourself.

Yesterday was Ada's Monthly Outing. We had lunch first at Phil's Tavern. Meet Ed, a very interesting man.

I liked his shiny blue eyes.

Rich Fleisher sent me an article from the Times in defense of Obama. Unfortunately Goggle Blogger won't let me post it - they frequently goof! Beautiful Peggela is in the middle. Haven't seen her in many moons. Barbara is studying the huge menu on the right.So, we get to the Ambler Movie Theater, a choice of three movies.

I choose the George Clooney film, The Descendants, and sit next to Gerri.

I am a tough critic. I expect the best. It starts out in Hawaii. Frankly, the only movies I like about Hawaii are Five-O w/the late Jack Lord.

Within a couple of seconds, I start having that bad feeling inside....bad movie. It only gets worse. I pick up my pocketbook

My pocketbook is actually a bag I got when I signed up for Blue Cross supplemental insurance in addition to Medicare. I don't like advertising other people's products so I painted it.

I whispered to Gerri, "I don't like the movie, I'm leaving."

Then I raced into Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

The previews were finishing up so I got there just in time.

Excellent movie. As we all walked to the car, we were discussing the film. The only person who really understood it was Ada. We all looked it up when we got home. Thank you, Wiki.

Am gonna be up a while as I'm trying to find a publisher for my novel. As I mentioned, someone is reading it, but if they reject it I wanna have Plan B.

No comments:

Post a Comment