Thursday, January 19, 2012

Have you been to the new Jewish Museum?

As a gift for my 66th birthday, Ada and Rich Fleisher took me to the new National Museum of Jewish History at Independence Mall. What a treat!

Photos not allowed in museum, only at entry way. Here's the all-important stair way. We were advised to start on the fourth floor and work ourselves down.

There was so much to see we only finished the third floor!

Since it was Weds., there weren't too many people. Suddenly I saw a rush of people come in, definitely not Jewish.

I asked one of them who they were. She was from a nearby company and a dozen people came for "Diversity Day." Pretty cool, huh?

The museum is built on a tiny corner. Looks like it's made all of glass. Even the stairways are see-through.

They have a little theater with continually playing movies - some narrated by the great singer-actor Mandy Patinkin - where we got to see greats from the Yiddish theater in New York and vaudeville.

I'd never seen Eddie Cantor before. Peppy little guy who could dance and sing. I was trying to catch a brief nap while sitting down, but Cantor energized me and I kept jerking awake.

Eddie Cantor from 1923.

Here's Fanny Brice, hitherto known only by Streisand's performance of Brice in Funny Girl.

Oops, that's Baby Grace who is now a year and a half.

Fanny Brice (1891-1961). Fania Borach was her real name. Popular comedienne, singer, performer.

The Jewish Museum's theater reminded us of The Stoogeum - the Three Stooges Museum in Ambler. The Stooges also appeared in the cavalcade of Jewish stars.

At closing time at the museum, we raced downstairs to the fantastic gift shop.

I took photos so I could gaze upon them in the privacy of my home, wearing PJs for comfort and warmth, and drinking hot water to keep me warm. Brrr-cold out today. Right, Bill?

Menorahs for Chanukah, the Festival of Lights. Hello Judah Maccabee, resistance hero.


I love gift shops. When Donna and I drove to Cleveland, we stopped at the Maltz Museum and their superb gift shop.

My purchases. Gave Scott a refrigerator magnet. Bought an extra one. If anyone wants it, send me an email and it's yours.

Now, b/c I'm an insulin-dependent person with diabetes, I had to plan for the entire day. Here's a note I have on my kitchen bulletin board:

I still forget I have diabetes, so while we were viewing some Rebecca Gratz paraphernalia - her tiny nail scissors, tea service - I remembered, OMG, it's been four hours since I ate.

This means that my blood sugar has probly fallen too low. I began to panic, but quickly stopped myself. I had checked my pocketbook in the coat room so didn't have any glucose tabs or Triscuits, but knew that since the museum would be closing soon, I'd retrieve my pocketbook and scarf down the rye Triscuits, eating the cheese with them for a quasi-complete meal.

Reminder: Always carry Glucose tabs in your pocket just in case!

The dinner gong went off. Rich found a superb restaurant online - La Scala at Sixth and Chestnut.


Everyone loved their food. I chose a pork chop - why not? first reform synagogue was in Cincinnati Ohio - you didn't need to keep kosher, we learned that at the museum. The waiter, Dan, assured me it would be tender.

We shared our appetizers. Within three minutes of eating, I bit my tongue - it was horribly painful, but I kept on talking and didn't let on.

What's the strongest muscle in the body? The jaw muscles to tear apart our carnivorous desires.

1 comment:

  1. I sometimes bite my tongue because I eat too quickly . I bet you were hungry? If I say a prayer giving thanks for the food beforehand, it can slow me down enough.

    ReplyDelete