Monday, January 23, 2012

Estelle - Crime at college - Anyone wanna try on my new wig?

The new Giant gas station on York Road. $3.35 per gallon. In goes my Giant bonus card - you have no points, it says insultingly - and then in goes my credit card.

My sister Donna explained that you only get bonus points during a set time. Then it's a mad rush. So, Giant likes to play games. I guess they like excitement as much as the next guy.

Spent a few hours with Donna today. I surprised her by coming over in my new wig. Here she is trying it out.

Here I am in my $125 new wig. I wore it to the pharmacy and showed Bob the pharmacist when I picked up my diabetes paraphernalia.

"Can you tell I'm wearing a wig?" I asked him.

An older man w/a hearing aid was sitting in a nearby chair.

He nodded No.

I made a new friend in the produce aisle, tattooed young William, who knows a lot about food. I told him I was making cream of broccoli soup and he told me to saute it in rosemary and onions.

Donna also gave me some tips cuz she's a great cook.

Ding-a-ling-a-ling! Carlos Guerrero calling.

Here I am listening to Carlos on speaker-phone. I had Donna take a picture of me to see how fat I am. She also brewed me a couple cups of delicious Starbucks Decaf.

Carlos is a long-time friend of our family, as is his artist wife Barbara Postel. She's gonna have an exhibit at the Lambertville Coryell Gallery.

I told Carlos that one of the characters in my novel is named Angel Guerrero. Like Carlos, he's from Ecuador.

Carlos loved that! Writers make use of every bit of knowledge that passes us by, even if we're not paying attention to it.

Donna discovered this new cereal. Did you know that the original Mr. Kellogg made nothing but healthy cereals?
Ah, here's Will Keith Kellogg now from Battle Creek, Michigan. As a Seventh-Day Adventist, he was a vegetarian and lived to be 91 years of age.

That's a year older than Estelle, the character of my new short story. I sent it to three people for their review. "Claire" wrote me back with some great feedback.

I willed myself to write the story last nite, Sunday nite. I began around 8 pm. I had no idea what the next sentence would be, but it flowed fairly easily. It's not a great story, but it's pretty good. The more stories I write, the better I'll get. Remember, Grandma Moses - Anna Mary Robertson Moses - began her career at an advanced age.

I do have an assignment for tonite. I was gonna write another short story, this time about a friend of mine, "Craig Norton," who wanted to be a priest. He attended La Salle College and was sexually assaulted by a brother. My friend Claire, a devout Catholic, said her brother was also approached and knew other young men as well. She said there's a lawsuit under way, but Craig's assaulter died many many years ago of a heart attack. I know he wouldn't be interested b/c it dredges up horrible memories.

Claire told me to forget the short story. Write some more poems. She loves my poems and wants to see them published. So, if you'll excuse me, it's Poem Time. Shall I brew myself some decaf now?

2 comments:

  1. Ruth - I am very glad to see snow on your ground. It doesn't look like anything that would shut anything down and cause one to stay indoors and watch movies for two months - but what do I know.

    The oldest person I ever met was Belle Herbert of Chalkysit, who was 127 or 129 at her death. She was not a vegetarian. She seldom ate a vegetable. Maybe she never did. She lived on moose, salmon, caribou, beaver, procupine, berries and such.

    When I first arrived in Alaska, their were centenarians in just about all of the villages that I traveled to. They all ate meat and fish, and berries, seals, whales and such. Very few vegetables.

    Now, it is hard to find a centenarians out there. Too much mainstream American food as worked its way in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was shut down for two days, bill, and am now up and running. and....the snow has vanished melted away! perhaps it was the soul of Belle Herbert having pity on me. wait a sec, there's a package on my front porch. hold on while i open it. why it's...i can't believe it, bill....it's caribou stew!!! i'll have it for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete