Thursday, June 18, 2009

Best Yogurt I Ever Made

For the first time ever, I bought a packet of freeze-dried yogurt starter. I emailed the directions to my neighbor's niece, Chrissy, who lives in southern New Jersey. Chrissy and husband Matt own a farm they bought a few years back. Their son Ethan is 2 and has huge dark eyes that take in everything. How he loved the Roto-Rooter activity on our quiet street, just like my little Dapper Dan did some thirty years ago.

To make yogurt:

- bring 2-4 cups of milk to boil.

- let cool until you can dip in your finger without burning it. milk should still be very warm.

- transfer hot milk into a container in which you will let it ferment for several hours.

- add one packet of powdered yogurt bacteria OR one tablespoon real yogurt.

- thoroughly stir the mixture.

- cover it and place in warm place for 4 to 4.5 hours - or longer - until yogurt is totally firm. (warm place may be oven w/pilot light or stove range w/pilot light or in a large tub of very warm water)

- refrigerate when the yogurt is firm.

Since I left home to party all afternoon, I left the yogurt in the oven to congeal. When I returned home, I opened the oven and - presto! - the yogurt was firm.

Next morning I had two cups with fresh blueberries for breakfast. Truly the best yogurt I've ever made. The manufacturer is Yogourmet from Quebec. Cliquez-vous s'il vous plait.

No comments:

Post a Comment