Sunday, March 26, 2023

READING ON THE FRONT PORCH

 

Sure it was cold, but I sat on Scott's park bench on his porch just reading.

Brought out two very heavy books - Tracy Kidder's ROUGH SLEEPERS - and Nita Prose's THE MAID. 

I was in ecstasy as I read ROUGH SLEEPERS by Tracy Kidder. Kidder is a physician at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. His special mission is treating the stigmatized homeless and helping them find housing. 

Many of the homeless are tricked out of finding a real home. One guy Tony was classified as a sexual predator - something you don't wanna advertise as you may not find housing and it is stigmatized. 

But Tracy the physician wanted to hear Tony's story - Tony was a new guy - and Tony finally mustered up his courage to tell his story to the doctor.

He had heard so much about the doctor and could not for the life of him believe a doctor would take more than the 7 minutes or so to listen to his story with respect. 

Six more minutes until Scott comes over to put me in the snorkel. 

My neighbor Nancy, who must be close to 90 yo, was taken to the hospital last night by a shiny red ambulance that said Bryn Athyn on it. 

Have no idea how she is. However, I did try, as I believe that caring neighbors should pay attention and care.

Daughter Linda, who drives a red RAV that she backs into her driveway - the garage is filled with storage items - so God only knows what's wrong with her. She does sit in a wheelchair and her husband Charlie has been dead for ages. 

Was a day when I wrote dozens of poems about that good man. 

For dinner I had lentils and spaghetti made by sister Ellen and a green salad I made. 

SARAH called this morning and wanted to have our tenth KIDNEYVERSITY party here at my house.

I did have a revelation while on the front porch.

Since Mom and Dad are dead and our relatives too, it is I who must take their place.

Yes, me. It makes me feel strong and capable. 

When I walked around the block around 3 pm I assured myself I can handle my new role as head of the household. 



No comments:

Post a Comment