Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Driving the Horsham Clinic to Deliver the Compass - Poem: Hire Me at Burdick's Newstand

My son Dan routed me to Horsham Clink so I could deliver two cartons of the Compass to Dave Mauermann. They had given us a nice donation for the Compass.

I found it with no problem. For long drives - 20 mins there - I wear shoes that won't fall off my feet.

Gardeners were working nearby.

I walked over and asked the first one if he'd help me carry my cartons inside.

NO, he said.

Jose, on the other hand, said he would.

Michelle at the front desk remembered me from last year.

I asked if the food was good here and she said Yes, quite good.

People were waiting in the former living room of this former home. All I saw was someone's pocket book tho I longed to look in.

When I worked as a therapist at the late Bristol Bensalem Human Services, I actually drove a mom and her daughter, Hannah, to the clink.

Once you have a record, your life is never the same again.

1984 Ruth Z Deming was committed against her will to MCES, Montgomery County Emergency Service, and there I stayed for the three worst days of my life.

But that was yesterday. At 9 tonight Henry Louis Gates Jr will present two hours of history. Fifteen minutes to go.

Hurry Ruthie Hurry.

HIRE ME TO WORK AT BURDICK'S

Did I tell you I met Carl Burdick at the Giant?
He of the iconic Hatboro store, nearest thing to
the old Woolworth's that no one's heard of anymore.

Magazines? Hundreds
Newspapers? From the Wall Street Journal to
the Times Chronical in Jenkintown, PA.

This is a store where I'd love to work.
A cash register with its dozens of
rings, that only Carl and his wife Lillian
can operate.

She's out temporsnarily, as my dead boyfriend
Simon would say. Hip operation.

You can smell the aroma of newsprint
and see-gars all the way from Cuba.
Boxes are free as long as they're
not from Cuba.

I took a couple home with me.
Kept them on the bench in front
of the living room window Mom bought
me ages ago from Bloomingdale's.

What can you do with an empty box?
Save it perhaps for your burial chamber.


UNCLE JOE DAUTCHER'S FARM MARKET

On my upstairs bulletin board
their business card. Ellen and I
stopped by one hot summer morning.

Hiring? I asked.
Sure, said a portly woman.
Can you cook?

You tell me what to do,
and I'll do it, said I,
mopping my brow.

I wasn't fast enough
and Dautcher's went under
the wrecking ball.

Not another condo
on smothered farm land.
The pumpkins were large
as tiny planets,
the tomatoes cuddly
as baby does,
and the cinnamon buns
were weighed on the scale
and packaged in boxes
white as the winter sky.

Sure, they made a fortune,
and now they have time
for themselves. Sitting now
on the rocking chairs
on the porch, with Uncle Joe
calling, "Babe, how bout
some of them cinnamon buns?"

Just a sec, she says, going
into the house where the phone rings.
"Always wanted
to hire this woman."

I HAVE BEEN ORDERED to lose weight by Cecilia, my diabetes nurse.

Lost two pounds when I weighed myself on Scott's scale.








1 comment:

  1. This is one of them Boeing Planes that's been crashing. The plane went up and 7 minutes later everyone crashed into the sea and was dead. What's going on?

    ReplyDelete