Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Willow Grove Bible Church - morning services from Revelations

The snow was falling lightly when I left home at 10:35 to attend Sunday services at the Willow Grove Bible Church on Division and Everett Roads, seven minutes away from home.

Went back inside to grab my broom, hoping I would not need it after services.

On Sunday, March 1, the snow blankets the ground.

Had no prob coming home. Kept switching gears.... from one to three....

Unlike Tom Selleck in Magnum PI, who has a Ferrari

Image result for magnum pi car This is one of the Netflix films I chose to watch last nite, while Scott snored next to me.

Am listening to WRTI-FM. Christopher O'Riley is playing the Rite of Spring with someone named Sean, I believe. I went on FB and told him I'm really digging it!!!

Lori Meed made me feel very comfortable when I walked into the church.

She told me a story about how The Lord has personally helped her. Her daughter, Rebecca, is getting married on June 6 in Bethlehem, PA. Lori prayed to find a dress for herself. For $25 she found a navy short-sleeve, below-the-knee dress from Impact Thrift on Route 309.

In addition she found pots n pans reduced from $1,000 for $250 online.

We live in so many worlds.... the material and the spiritual and the emotional.

I told Pastor Ken Barkley that worshipping with them was intensely emotional. I loved it!!!

I sang along. My throat actually hurt a bit cuz I'm not used to singing.

It was quite cold in the huge room - it's actually a basement - just like the "lower level" of my house - which is ffffreezing. I drank a couple cups of coffee to warm up.

I asked Pastor Ken to pray for a friend of mine who is out of control with bipolar disorder, whereabouts unknown.

Stranger things have happened than having this prayer answered.

The music team is SUPERB - Lori's husband, Mark, plays guitar and also had a solo. Pastor Ken's wife has a beautiful singing voice.

Young man Ruby plays guitar. His folks - Kim and Bob - were playing keyboards off to the side. We prayed that his older bro, Eric, would pass his Helicopter Test on March 3 in San Diego, where he's stationed in the Navy.

We prayed about a lot of conditions, including drug addiction.

I said, truthfully, that the only way a married couple would remain addiction-free is if they receive Christ as their personal savior.

You have to know where people are "coming from" in order to help them.

Burt Plaster
Pastor Ken Barkley
 Joni Plaster

Wrote about them in a previous blog post. 

Am ecstatic about having their photos.

Image result for laszlo gyulai  Dr Laszlo Guylai, psychiatrist at Penn, once asked me if I were a Buddhist.

Read my post about visiting Buddhists in Bensalem, PA, near where I worked as a psychotherapist.

I answered the Jewish-born Laszlo by saying, "I'm probably a combination of many different religions, including, of course, Judaism."

His parents survived concentration camps in their native Hungary.

His wife Peggy is an artist.

Pastor Ken, on the right, is a powerful speaker, charismatic, I'd say.

"We pray to you, Oh Lord, to help us become who you want us to be."

I really liked that line. He preached about what it would be like to see Jesus in the flesh.

A marvel for those who love him, but a terror for sinners.

In the Baghavad Gita, there is also a portion where Arjuna meets Shiva. I read the Gita after my first manic-psychotic episode in 1984.

I walked into the Upper Moreland Library and walked straight back to the right book shelf.

Image result for arjuna meets shiva

In an interview, I heard the late William F Buckley, Jr. say, he was most concerned about whether or not he was going to heaven.

Pastor Ken, facing the 40 or so people in the large room, which included a couple of children, spoke about meeting Christ the Savior:

John’s Vision of Christ

 

I, John, your brother and companion in the suffering and kingdom and patient endurance that are ours in Jesus, was on the island of Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus. 10 On the Lord’s Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet, 11 which said: “Write on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea.”

12 I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, 13 and among the lampstands was someone like a son of man,[d] dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. 14 The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. 15 His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters.

  16 In his right hand he held seven stars, and coming out of his mouth was a sharp, double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. 18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

19 “Write, therefore, what you have seen, what is now and what will take place later. 20 The mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand and of the seven golden lampstands is this: The seven stars are the angels[e] of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.

LORI Meed, originally from Ontario, asked me if I had a Jewish bible. What this means is The Old Testament.  

Yes, I said. I got it when I was confirmed from Temple on the Heights or B'nai Jeshurun in Mayfield Heights, Ohio.


When I got my BA in psychology from Temple University, took a wonderful lit class in which we studied several books of the Bible, including my favorite, Job. When I was suffering from bipolar d/o, I would read passages from Job, esp. these. Click here.

The snow is still tinkling away outside, the sound of little ice crystals.

Am gonna visit Scott next door. He leaves for work at 7:30 pm and will walk to the train. 

Hopefully the train is running.

No comments:

Post a Comment