Friday, December 26, 2014

Leftovers at Donna's - Google's Invasion of my Privacy - Poem: Lavender Nails

On this beautiful day after Christmas, I visited my sister Donna at Woodwinds Condo in Hatboro. First, tho, I stopped at LeRoy's Flowers where I said hello to the lovely statue, which is about my size.

A sign beneath it read "Make an offer."

Leroy's son, Bob, said his dad got this at one of the Philadelphia Flower Shows.

I would LOVE to have it and put it in my front yard IF it could withstand the weather. It's a copy of a famous statue somewhere.

Sarah, my zen daughter, might you know?

Sarah and Ethan are spending the holidays in Minnesota. Ethan had played piano in an old-age home, which I think is fantastic!

They also visit his adoring little brother Spencer, who lives in a group home there.

*

Went to Donna's today.  Many darling mishpoochah were there.

How we love them all!  Melissa had a new short hair cut that looks FAB!

Nikki, Steve and the kids are driving to the Catskills today to go skiing!

On Donna's huge TV they were playing a disc of family photos... wonderful! I was drinking delicious Starbucks coffee. Had a piece of my toasted cheese challah. Had forgotten my insulin pen but shot up the moment I got home.

Mentioned that Goggle had emailed me a minute's worth of my photos, asking me to share them, which I will not! Who cares about Ruth Z Deming's photos?

Another invasion of privacy in our Facebook/Goggle world.

*

After explaining the meaning of 'film noir,' I read them my newest poem "Lavender Nails."



LAVENDER NAILS

The green gel wowed us all
but stays on until
forcibly removed
that’s why I stopped at
Abington Nails
each salon as stylized
as Edith Head gowns
in MGM films

How ‘bout that
long black leather couch
a movie star couch
where starlets once got parts
in the days of
Double Indemnity
Scarlet Street and
Blond Ice.

 “Hello” said an
acrobatic man
named “Ozzy”
“like in Ozzie and Harriet”
his English fine for a
Chinaman.

He showed me a
card, like a many-colored
lollipop, and quickly, I
pointed out lavender,
which would match my
new lavender wall-to-wall
in my bedroom and drapes
dyed to match with two
plastic bottles of Rit
dye

Ozzy, who knows nothing
of the reruns of his namesake,
nor even the proper spelling,
paints my old Christmas green
nails with layers and layers of
lacquer to remove them
then secures them
with aluminum
foil. I close my eyes and
meditate.

May I have good health?
May the people I love prosper?
May my creativity increase?

The soft sounds of the salon
lull me into tranquility
as each client leaves
their name repeated
along with holiday wishes

They remember names!

Before I stopped into the salon
I went into Santander Bank on
the corner, where I stood
unacknowledged, behind the
teller “Lucia,” then clucked my
lips and fled.

“Ruth!” he interrupted.
“Ready!” I swiveled my
chair around and lay my
hands on the white-topped table.
My naked white hands were revealed,
small hands with green pop-up veins
like maps of the back roads of Ohio

The green gel was peeling off
green, the color of an unusual
gown by Edith Head, but lovely
nonetheless
we mustn’t all conform

To think that the twenty-first century
has brought spaceships to Mars
tiny telephones with photos of our loved ones
the mass exodus of Chinese and Vietnamese
to purchase useless buildings and
put nail salons on every corner

My lovely green gel was peeling off
but I had no time to mourn, as Ozzy scraped
it off, dead now, of no use to anyone
a mangled bicycle thrown out on the curb.

His sister Jen painted on the lavender gel.
A longer process than your normal polish
but this is the age of
spaceships to Mars
so I sat and let myself dream.

See me on the starlet’s couch?
Instead of watching a film noir
I’d rather be in one.
The mobster’s moll? No, they’d
just as soon kill me.
The rich woman in furs and pearls?
Yes, c’est moi, shirking my people
and running off with an
acrobatic Chinaman.



No comments:

Post a Comment