Thursday, August 26, 2010

Welcome, Grace Catherine Deming



And I shall be called Bubby to preserve the Jewish heritage in my happily assimilated family. My ex-husband, the late Millard G Deming, came from an amazing clan of people - East Texas farm people on his mom's side who I had the pleasure of knowing and loving way back when - Aunt Mae's quilt she made for baby Sarah is still intact. His dad's people were the brilliant scholarly Demings, tho alcoholism captured Mike's dad when this brilliant geophysicist worked in Venezuela and he drank himself thru 3 wives until he died at 60.

One reason I married Mike was that he was so different than me - blond, blue-eyed - a scientist at heart. I am the opposite of a xenophobe, being forever attracted to those who are different from me, so that I can absorb new knowledge and ways of being from them.

All this is reflected in the genetic heritage of Grace Catherine, born August 15.

She is gangly, long-armed and long-legged. You can easily imagine her dancing across the floor with her 'brothers' who are all cats.

Grace Catherine has become a magnet in the family. A baby jesus, as it were, to whom we all make pilgrimages to see. Bringing with us, not gold frankincense and myrhh, but pineapple bread pudding (sister Lynn), baby books, and Kiehl's creams for baby skin.

So goes the preservation of the species. Our genes are engaged. Our hard wiring. We must visit that baby. And they want us. Something big is happening. Why has natural selection made it imperative to visit the baby? What are we doing for her?

I believe we are sharing our germs with her as well as our voices and rhythms as she learns what it means to be a human being.

Her eyes look around. What does she see? What is her little brain recording? Everything - the air, the food, the voices - feeds her brain and enables it to grow and develop, sending messages to her body to do the same. Oh, if only you could feel the softness of her little arms and the tiny bird-like bones beneath.

5 comments:

  1. so glad to hear the great report from the doctor about The Little Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this. Yes, babies often do have a way of uniting everyone and serve a purpose beyond the obvious. Rabindranath Tagore says, "Every child comes with the message that God is not yet discouraged of humanity.” You might not see it that way, but I sure do. A new beginning, not only for the little one, but for everyone in her life-a clean slate and a chance to build new relationships or repair old ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, iris! love the tagore quote. how's your granddaughter gabrielle doing? and, what will she call you when she's old enuf to talk?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good that you share your germs with her - she needs to build up her immunity.

    And congratulations. A little beauty.

    I just got back from the Post Office. It was the first time I had a chance to get there in several days and I found a big surprise.

    Thank you!

    Maybe I should get a tattoo after all.

    ReplyDelete