Monday, December 28, 2009

What I Saw at the Movies

We made the 11:40 a.m. show. We stood in line for twenty minutes waiting to buy tickets to Avatar. It cost $23 which included my senior ticket. BTW, thanks to Coach Iris for your lovely Birthday Card.

The Tiny Man in the wheelchair took our tickets, tearing them off with his impossibly tiny arms held against his shirt. Enjoy the movie, he said, as Scott and I walked toward Theater Eleven.

A huge hallway led up up up to the theater. I wanted to run up the slope but needed to behave myself since I was with Scott. We found great seats and had missed all the coming attrax so the movie started immediately.

I looked over at Scott who looked adorable wearing his black Elvis Costello-like 3D glasses. I like to hold hands sometimes in the movies but the movie was so tense I needed to clasp them to my breast.

Yum! As I'm blogging, I'm eating my dinner salad. Green leafy lettuce, onion, red pepper, cuke, carrot, red pepper, celery, with a dressing of olive oil, garlic, and fresh lemon juice. I gave out 8 lemon squeezers for Xmas gifts, on sale at Giant.

I'd done my morning stretches for my back so it wasn't bothering me during the movie. But I was freezing cold. The A/C seemed to be on high. Scott was also cold. When I had to go to the baffroom, I put my glasses on top of my head and walked quickly out, dashing down the long slope at last, finding the men's room, after which I told the ticket-taker to please turn up the heat.

He said he'd make a phone call.

Interesting, I thought. Then I raced happily up the slope to watch the last half of this very long but very good movie, an absolute feast for the eyes. Blink blink.

Director Cameron waited till the end to show the credits. When I got home I called Dr Pam London Barrett to ask her opinion of the movie. She sees e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g!

Now, another film director named George Ciampa sent me an email. I WAS THRILLED! Here's his email with my comments in ( )

Hello Ruth, Thank you for your Guest Book comments. (Mon plaisir, George. Never thought you'd write back.) It is appreciated. (passive voice? c'mon George. Try I appreciate it with an exclamation point to show your enthusiasm.) Two of my films are being shown on 90 PBS stations and have exclusivity, sporadically, for two years. Apparently you saw "Memories of France". (mais oui) The other is "The Lesson is Priceless", filmed in Belgium. (ah, the best beers in the world. My son would love em. Since I don't drink no more, I take sips of Dan's beer.)

I hope you will purchase one or both.(George, clearly you don't know me. I'm downsizing. In 20 yrs I'll be dead & I don't want more stuff for my kids to throw away) Funds received will help to get the films distributed in all 2117 high schools in California where I live. I am seeking that funding now from companies or wherever. (Try the Lenfests. They gave tons of money to the theater at the Gettysburg Museum. They're also Jewish, I believe, so would appreciate your focus on the only work camp during WW2 in France.)

I would appreciate your help with directing friends to the website. (ATTENTION FRIENDS: Here's the website.) Thank you very much. Happy New Year

George

Speaking of websites, I'm reading a book by James D Gordon, MD, called Unstuck: Your Guide to the 7-Stage Journey Out of Depression.

Here's what to do, accdg to Gordon, who is listed on QuackWatch:

Exercise
Meditation
Guided imagery
Self-expression thru words, drawings, and movement
Yoga
Nutrition and supplements
Acupuncture and herbal therapies
A variety of spiritual practices

Not bad, Jimmy. What I don't like, however, is a chapter you entitle The Right Way. C'mon, Jimbo, there ain't no one right way.

Dr Jim, by the bye, was a member of a disgraced Indian cult. Read the delightfully hateful appraisal of Gordon on Quackwatch. You'll have to find it yourself. I'm too lazy. It's 7:33 p.m. and I'm only halfway thru today's To-Do List.

Still to-do is 20 minutes on my bike and two hours of novelwriting.

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing Avatar. I will go check out that website right now.

    (sometimes I am Grahamn, sometimes I am Bill)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been duly redirected. Also thanks for the mention.

    Did I tell you I loved your letter to the Pope?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Ruth,

    I do not recall receiving my lemon squeezer in the mail. Being a big person, I will not let this keep me from wishing you and Scott a very Happy and Healthy New Year.

    Warmest regards, Stephen

    ReplyDelete