Monday, December 7, 2009

Goodbye darling goodbye!

The main downside of being a union member is the importance of seniority. Scott has worked at the Philly transit authority Septa for 13 years and there's many another mechanic ahead of him on the schedule pickings. Thus Scott lost his day-shift and returned to the night-shift which poses a hazard to one's health, among other things, like you can't see your girlfriend every nite and lay beside her snuggling together.

Scott, can you please pass me the remote. Scott, would you mind getting up and getting me a drink of water. Scott, I forgot to take the phone off the hook, would you mind.....

I drove him to the train station to catch the 8:22 pm train. He likes to get there good n early.

Let's stop at the Valenza's Xmas House, I suggested. Fort'ly he agreed. It's 5 minutes down Terwood Road.

We parked the car and got out. The house door was open and a revolving Santa peeked out. People were in the background. Clearly, they cared about people enjoying their spectacular lights.

I don't care if he IS a Republican I mumbled to myself, the man is a good person (even tho he never returned my phone calls). Now, if I were Bill Hess, I would've brought my camera and shot some film for my loyal readers. How to describe the extravaganza of lights lights lights and all those moving parts. I think the moving parts makes it so much moore interesting.

Would you believe a twirling ferris wheel! Santa riding his sleigh on the rooftop? A panda coming out of a jack-in-the-box? Very original, very creative. That man can't be all bad.

Look, I'm so impressed I'll even share his website with you of the paratransit company he owns.

I said to Scott, I can't believe I'm not cold. My car read 37 icy.

That's cuz you dressed in layers, he said. I have to teach you everything.

When I went to NY I had the choice of dressing warm or looking nice and dressed up. I chose to wear my new Chico's coat which - get this! - the buttons are so far apart you can't even button them. So okay I froze my ass. The sore throat I woke up with has gone away. True.

Then we drove to the Willow Grove train station and sat in the car talking until the train came.

You'll be alright sleeping alone? he said.

I'll be fine, Scott, but I'll miss you.

Scott's new hours are 10 pm until 6:30 a.m. Imagine staying awake all nite long. They forbid their mechanics to fall asleep. If they find them asleep they give them a warning. This, even tho there's no work to do. Asinine.

Well, wish me luck. I've got 3 good books to lay by my side. I sleep in my socks. Do you?

1 comment:

  1. i've got the wrong valenza here. sam valenza is the township commish and owner of the paratransit company. this is his brother!

    ReplyDelete