Friday, August 18, 2017

Whew! Becky of Staples to the Rescue - Poems: Trixie Belden, the Red Trailer Mystery - My New Shark Cordless Vac - -

Before the deluge, I brought my downstairs laptop to the Willow Grove Staples.

Luckily it's only 10 minutes away.

Not a raindrop fell as my sturdy steed and I pranced over.

Becky is a wiz. She was helping other people so I was there about an hour. Spent time reading my new Trixie Belden book.

What I wanted was for her to find the Blogger Dashboard so I could continue blogging.

She has enormous confidence. I also told her it's a pleasure to work with her b/c she's always in a good mood.

Where did I get the Trixie Belden book? Read on.

Went to the Giant and got five plastic containers of salads. Brought em to Mom and Ellen's.

Mom and I stuffed ourselves. Ellen had brought her own food.

What a pleasure it is eating with Mom!

My friend Dorothy wrote a poetry book and sent it to me. Received it this morning.

Told Mom and Ellen I would read the whole thing after I ate.

Ellen joked it would take her a year to finish it.

It was very well done. I have to shout when I'm with Mom. She'll get hearing aids very soon from Costco.

One of the many things we talked about were toilets.

I said, All I've gotta do is go on my blog and I'll find Bob Frisch putting in my new toilet.

View it here.

I still don't like it. Old people are sposed to like sitting on a high toilet. Not me. Gimme a low-down toilet any time or a pit in the back yard.

After leaving Mom's, I started driving home and stopped at Masons Mill Park. Used to take my kids there when they were little and I also played Volleyball there every Sunday.

Randy Johnson where are you now!

To walk off my food, I quickly walked about 20 minutes. They have these little exercise pods and I exercised on every single one of em.

For example, they had a slanting bar. I simply bent down, this ole body of mine, and went under the bar.

Great fun!!!

In Sarah's old bedroom, I had a pile of about 20 books. Put em all in plastic bags and brought em to the library.

Getting ready for Doomsday!

BTW, the Total Eclipse in Monday.

Here's what to do and I explained it to Mom and Ellen. There are dozens of science sites but here's one of em.

I asked George, one of the Meat Men, at the Giant what healthy hot dogs to eat. He recommmended Nature's Promise - oops - almost wrote Nature's Poison - uncured beef hot dogs. I dunno what uncured means, do you?

Every time I leave Blogger it takes forever to get back on here.


Rainbow above the trees.

Bill Adams came over and stood on the stoop.

Ruth, he said. I jumped like the frog of Calveras County.

Don't mean to scare you, he said, but there's a rainbow.

Look Max, Look Grace!  Rainbow.

Scuse me while I get anudder bowl of Trail Mix.

Actually I'm too lazy.

This one website is raving about the Total Solar Eclipse next Monday. 



TRIXIE BELDEN
THE RED TRAILER MYSTERY

Driving home from Mom and Ellen's
where we ate salads I brought
from Giant - such sweet
watermelon, honeydew,
strawberries and blueberries

I waved goodbye and drove
slowly so I could listen
to Hatchet by Gary Paulsen,
and stopped at Masons Mill Park
to walk off my food, hardly
anyone was there

A guy shooting hoops
Tiny tots in the playground
The heat oppressive as
in a Steam Bath in Romania

And then I saw it!
The FREE BOOK cabinet.
Be there! Be there!
I prayed.
And it was!
the Trixie Belden book.

Last time I refused to take it.
I'd read the Nancy Drews and
Raggedy Anns, but somehow
skipped ole Trixie.

She's come back again
to thrill a new generation.
How bout this for a
complicated first sentence:

"Trixie saw her father's car turn
into the driveway from Glen Road,
and she raced out of the back door
to stop him before he reached the garage."

If you're a writer like me, you redo
each and every sentence, making it
better, better, better, better!

Now get on with you. A storm, they
say, is coming. Hide, little
hummingbird, hide!

***
MY NEW SHARK CORDLESS DUST VAC

Smooth as a bottlenose dolphin
I hold it like a baby in my arms
A perfectly perfect purple
Accented by black
Wah Wah Wah!
It cries like a baby, louder
than a crow on my
outside wire, the
province of squirrels

The suction's amazing
It's sucked up three drafts
of poems, my Verizon bill,
dead leaves I've traipsed in
and if I'm not careful
it will suck me in too
like Jonah's whale.

Epilogue:
Wanted dead or alive.
Ruth Z Deming. We've sent
in the fine minds of Mandy
Patinkin and the gang from
Criminal Minds.


HAVE YOU MET MY NEW FRIEND?

We'll call her Charlotte
after E B White.

First met her when I got out
of the car at the Dunkin Donuts.

Holy cow! No, holy spider.
The noiseless patient spider
rolled through my brain
the way hunger pangs
rolled through my belly.

Indifferent to the
events of the world
my Charlotte continued
the job she was given
as I drove home
at thirty miles
an hour.

Please be there, I prayed,
taking a small sip of coffee,
as I got out of the car.

We don't know why she landed
on the back of my car, a deep
field of gray like the sparrow's
wing. The morning sun
lit her up, and there she
will stay until her
weaving is done.

***

I wanted to put Penelope of the Trojan War in the poem and how she fooled her suitors by unraveling a burial garment she was making for her husband Odysseus. Could not figure out how to do it.

It was raining heavily when I got back from Staples. In fact there was such a racket I actually thought the rain was coming thru my living room roof!

***

Now how can I remember how to get into Blogger.

Go to "Sign on" and click on the odd-looking thingee. First Microsoft will come up.

Microsoft the scourge of the world.

Always bossing us around and telling us what to do.

***
What are you doing tonight?

I'm reading two good books. Easy, Ruthie, easy.

Went into Sarah's old room, gathered up about 20 books that I wanted to read, look em all over, saved but one.... a large print of Michael Connelly's The Bronze Project, which is probly the name - and brought every single book over to the library.

Hurray for me!

How bout a nice short poem.


Earlier photos of a doe in the backyard.

LISTEN TO THE UNIVERSE SPEAKING

A quiet night
I've lived on this
sacred spot of ground
since 1989

A train whistles
in the distance
a moan of lamentation
for all the sadness
I've endured

The phone rings.
Mom thanking me for
the delicious salads
I brought over. I love
the sound of her voice.

Alone again with
the sounds of the
universe.
My breathing.
In and out.
In and out.

And the joy of
the cicadas. Their
optimistic mating call.
Ting, Ting, Ting.
Come to me,
Come soon,
Why wait?
Find me over here
in the necking zone
on the sycamore tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment