Saturday, December 7, 2013

Model Train Show at Keith Valley Middle School in Horsham PA - Scott's Trains

Lest we forget.

December 7, 1941. Japanese attack Pearl Harbor. Read my blog post about a man who was there.

And a another man who remembers when it happened. 

Okay, let's drive to the Train Show. Scott drove my car so I could sight-see.

 The parking lot was packed!

Admission: $5. The same as we charge at New Directions.

Vendors had displays and sold amazing things.

I jumped at this:

Dad went to Boot Camp at Parris Island.


This very nice gentleman, Bob, wanted me to buy this beautiful plate with a locomotive on it.

What would I do with it?

Instead, I bought this wooden train for five bucks, which I do know what to do with. (This is the first time I've used the underscore in a blog post.)


The show was in the gymnasium. Then we went downstairs for more exhibits in the cafeteria.

What beautiful words: gymnasium and cafeteria.

Centerpiece in the Gymnasium. The train is chugging along the track. (Always remember to use good verbs.)

Remember these?

It's a water fountain not a .....

 A steep slope led to the Cafeteria. "The Courtyard is closed." My brother David went to school at Keith Valley Middle School, my mom reminded me yesterday. He was in Special Ed. Scott wondered when these programs were put in place. They didn't have them in our day.
 How about a nice all-American junk-food snack? Why is my mouth watering right now?
Casey is 83 and retired 11 years ago from his job as conductor on the Reading Line, which eventually turned into SEPTA. He told a group of us he worked overtime so he and the wife could pay their house mortgage off quicker. He had us guess what he made per day.

$55.

He was full of stories. After I said goodbye to him, he went up to a kid and his dad and did his shtick: telling them where they could get a good shoe shine.

The kid and his dad couldn't give a good goddamn, the foolish idiots!
 When the Reading Line went down, Casey found some treasures in the trash. The book below dates from 1893. It lists the cost for track repair for an entire day, labor and materiel:  $15.
 On our way out.
 Aren't you glad you're not in high school anymore? Yuck! Pitooey! Awful years of forced conformity.

Why is Scott interested in trains?

Let's go down his basement.



How dyou like my brand-new WHYY coffee mug? The water stays nice n cold. Got it for my $5 donation per month to WHYY.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to a lecture on a famous train wreck in 1921, same year as Dad was born.

1 comment:

  1. I would have enjoyed attending this train show too! Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete